What's the highest general frequency music stops at?
Feb 14, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #136 of 143
I can still hear up to 18500 - 18900 Hz and small faint sounds pretty good, but the very rare high pitched tones I hear are in the range of 10 - 14 kHz.
I sometimes do changes with the equalizer around 14 - 16 kHz when listening and yes: the sound changes.
I figure all the frequencies are mixed, that why it sees that almost no one hears those high pitched sound, because there are not distinguishable from the other more dominant tones anymore, or simply "overcast".

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #138 of 143
If I have sensitivity in the upper mids treble area, what ia a method of finding out with range of frequencies I am sensitive to so I can equalize properly?
Sure, audiology methods would show this, but you don't have access to the right hardware to do real audiology type tests. Listening to tones through random headphones doesn't measure your hearing well at all, it only tells you what frequencies you might hear if they are loud enough. But even the specific loudness of the test tones is unkown.

However, it is not appropriate to equalize to compensate for your personal hearing response, unless hearing loss is significant, which is what hearing aids do. For someone with normal hearing for their age, compensation of the slightly individualized hearing curve would not be appropriate because that curve is your "normal". It's how you hear everything, it's the curve you've adapted to. To then change that curve via EQ would likely not sound right.

But this is not what we're doing with EQ anyway. EQ is a means to establish better headphone response to the ear, because most if not all headphones modify the response of the material passed through them, which skews what we hear away from our "normal".

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #139 of 143
Sure, audiology methods would show this, but you don't have access to the right hardware to do real audiology type tests. Listening to tones through random headphones doesn't measure your hearing well at all, it only tells you what frequencies you might hear if they are loud enough. But even the specific loudness of the test tones is unkown.

However, it is not appropriate to equalize to compensate for your personal hearing response, unless hearing loss is significant, which is what hearing aids do. For someone with normal hearing for their age, compensation of the slightly individualized hearing curve would not be appropriate because that curve is your "normal". It's how you hear everything, it's the curve you've adapted to. To then change that curve via EQ would likely not sound right.

But this is not what we're doing with EQ anyway. EQ is a means to establish better headphone response to the ear, because most if not all headphones modify the response of the material passed through them, which skews what we hear away from our "normal".
I really appreciate your response, I guess even if I see an audiologist to find out my range of sensitivity I still couldnt tone down that range with eq even just a little to create a easier experience to just remove that *bite? *

This is the type of eq I have available
20200211_141533.jpg

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #140 of 143
I really appreciate your response, I guess even if I see an audiologist to find out my range of sensitivity I still couldnt tone down that range with eq even just a little to create a easier experience to just remove that *bite? *

This is the type of eq I have available

I think another thing to note is that human perception isn't just about the highest frequency one can hear at a given time (this also depends on your physiology at the moment), but our sense of hearing is based on a few mechanical stages, biochemical feedback, and neural pathways. Your sense of tonality can change if say your middle ear muscles are a bit more contracted (allowing less vibration going to your inner ear)...likewise your Eustachian tubes can influence sense of frequencies. It has been known that the inner ear is shaped like a conch with fluid mechanics stimulating certain hair cells more than others....there's also been more study in how there is a motor intervention that can amplify different frequencies as well. All of this is to say we are all different, and while we try to strive for "target" frequency curves, it's all going to be sets of averages!

Feb 17, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #141 of 143
I think another thing to note is that human perception isn't just about the highest frequency one can hear at a given time (this also depends on your physiology at the moment), but our sense of hearing is based on a few mechanical stages, biochemical feedback, and neural pathways. Your sense of tonality can change if say your middle ear muscles are a bit more contracted (allowing less vibration going to your inner ear)...likewise your Eustachian tubes can influence sense of frequencies. It has been known that the inner ear is shaped like a conch with fluid mechanics stimulating certain hair cells more than others....there's also been more study in how there is a motor intervention that can amplify different frequencies as well. All of this is to say we are all different, and while we try to strive for "target" frequency curves, it's all going to be sets of averages!
You have spoken!

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #142 of 143
I surprisingly haven't seen Nyquist brought up in this thread yet. That aside, the frequency range of most modern music also relies heavily on genre. Modern pop with acoustic instruments (eq, drum set, bass, guitars, vocals, etc) isn't going to have much perceptible note information about 5k or 10k.

The highest frequency human can hear up to is 20khz. Generally, younger people can hear more towards the extreme, as you age, it goes lower to around 16-17khz.

The nyquist sampling is for sampling analog signals. And the theorem says that, Fs > 2F. Fs being the sampling frequency and F being the highest frequency you want your signal to be without error/distortion. That’s why CDs are sampled at 44.1khz, so the highest audible frequency is ~22khz which covers the whole frequency spectrum humans can hear.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #143 of 143
When it comes to listening to music, the top octave (10kHz to 20kHz) is the least important octave we can hear. There isn't much up there but a little bit of cymbal sizzle that is largely masked by lower frequencies. And once you get up to 15kHz, it starts not mattering at all. It helps to keep perspective about how broad a frequency range we're talking about. An octave is 7 whole notes (do, re mi, etc.) The range above 15kHz represents less than two notes on the musical scale.. and it's at the absolute bleeding edge of hearing. I really don't understand why some people make such a big deal about those ultra high frequencies. Worrying about super audible frequencies is even more silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back