Whats the general concensus on Tripath/T-Amps? All hype or good value?
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $2600, I imagine the RWA Signature 30.2 is INCREDIBLE!

I've spent more than a few hours researching this, but never even considered something like the RWA Signature 30.2 due to the price. My only experience is as an owner of the Sonic Impact T-Amp, which is OK at best IMHO. What could one possibly expect from an amp that cost me maybe 30 bucks or so? I pulled it out a few days ago and was underwhelmed, but my source chain was suspect (just used to test some gear before putting on the sale block).

I'm definitely getting a better tripath based on the reviews I've read, just not sure which one yet. There are some pretty tempting budget ones that have fans, including a couple mentioned earlier in the thread (Pop Pulse and Kingrex) It seems the 2020 based ones are preferable to the 2024's from what I've read and also noted earlier in the thread.

This can't be all hype, I'm thinking, and am going to find out for myself. I need a small footprint desktop amp to feed my just purchased JohnBlue JB3's, and I'm hoping a tripath is just what the doctor ordered.

If you visit Audiogon you will find various Red Wine Audio Signature amps from $1,000 to about $1,500.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you visit Audiogon you will find various Red Wine Audio Signature amps from $1,000 to about $1,500.

Good point, as I was just quoting the list price from Red Wine web site. Still, that is a pretty pricey amp, even used. I know they have a VERY good rep, but that still is the higher end of the range of tripaths.

I'm personally leaning toward one from Virtue Audio. Maybe not in the league of Red Wine, but seems to be a pretty good tripath value.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about on of the Clari T amps that Vinnie used to make. I see they go for about $400 on Audiogon

Well, those are new to me, but they won't be for long..... Is there more than one version as in amps?

I'm assuming this is a suggestion that those are superior to the Virtue Audio amps?

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was a useful summary of the T-Amp found when verifying that the chip was a 2024, not 2020:

Retro Thing: Sonic Impact T-Amp - The Truth

How did I screw that up? Oh well, thanks for the clarification. I will just say that the 2020 based one I used is fantastic.

And that Scythe amp looks awesome. I am a big fan of their coolers and fans for my computer building hobby so its nice to see them branching out. I'd buy one in a hearbeat if I hadn't just gotten the t-amp for about the same price. Certainly looks better than my radioshack box
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 24
I'll put in a plug for T-amps. I love my Trends TA-10.1. I used it to power a pair of Boston CR75 bookshelf speakers and it sounds great.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #23 of 24
I bought a Gizmo amp ($89 for early buyers, $119 later) and with my old 1964 KLH Model 30s (free from a friend) the setup sounds excellent (I only use my Zune80 via AV setup) for an office system, small room. I don't even remember what Class D amp is in the Gizmo, but it has real speaker posts, a sub out, and a very sturdy cabinet. If you can find one, I recommened it.

Oh, here's one NIB for sale on HF, by a weird coincidence. Just searched and found it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...t-cans-419170/

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 24
Wish I had seen this Gizmo amp with the sub out before ordering the new Virtue Audio ONE.2. It just did not pop-up on my radar screen--should have looked harder. This Gizmo is more the price range I was hoping for. The Gizmo is probably not a 2024 based amp given the 25 watt per channel power spec. 2020 maybe?

Oh well... There sure are plenty of small amps to choose from!

I ordered the Scythe amp to use until the Virtue arrives. Don't expect a 50 buck amp to compete with a 300 dollar one, but it will be interesting. These JohnBlue JB3's are pretty revealing, so will be good to use for an amp comparison.

The Trends TA-10.1 suggested by another member would have been a candidate but lacks a sub out. Seemed like a nice amp and good value from my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back