whats the differnce between hybrid sacd's and single layer sacd's
Dec 6, 2002 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

decesaro

100+ Head-Fier
Also can any of the formats (sacd) be player on a normal cd player ,if not my guess would be that I would be ably to burn the disc to a cdr, Right?
Thanks

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 3
A single layer SACD contains only SACD information and can only be played on an SACD player. A hybrid SACD contains two (or more) layers— one SACD and one standard red-book (regular) CD. If you play it in an SACD player, you'll hear the SACD layer; if you play it on a regular CDP, you'll hear the regular non-SACD layer. So the hybrid disc is back-compatible with non-SACD players.

Regarding burning, I'm pretty sure that SACD players do not have digital outputs, so you can't record them digits to digits; you can probably record an SACD by converting its analog output back into red-book standard digital and burning that. (Essentially the same process as burning a CD off an lp.)

Hope this helps.

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by dave-the-rave
A single layer SACD contains only SACD information and can only be played on an SACD player. A hybrid SACD contains two (or more) layers— one SACD and one standard red-book (regular) CD. If you play it in an SACD player, you'll hear the SACD layer; if you play it on a regular CDP, you'll hear the regular non-SACD layer. So the hybrid disc is back-compatible with non-SACD players.

Regarding burning, I'm pretty sure that SACD players do not have digital outputs, so you can't record them digits to digits; you can probably record an SACD by converting its analog output back into red-book standard digital and burning that. (Essentially the same process as burning a CD off an lp.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks thats what I wanting to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back