What's the difference between NW-HD5 and NW-A3000?
Nov 18, 2005 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bijl

100+ Head-Fier
Though this NW-A3000 is a newer model, I don't see any differences except new (supposedly worse) software, it's bigger, looks different, has a non-removable battery and the battery life is worse. Does anyone know what the improvements are?

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Main differences to HD5: non removable battery with less life(29hours w/128kbps ATRAC), bigger and heavier, EQ works with all codecs now, one connector for both AC power and to computer. New icon based interface.

Some bad points make this another Sony dissapointment. No apparent improvements in SQ. SNR is 84 for headphone out and 96 for line out. Why they couldn't get a cleaner headphone out I don't know. Seems too complicated with too many menus and requiring alot of button pressing. Still no true on-the-fly playlists or adjustment of auto off time. Things like Initial search and Bookmarks are really unusable since they are not quick or easy to use. Still can't delete on the player. The player seems to be linked to Connect player too much. You can't delete songs make playlists or use several other functions without it.

I think it can be summed up in one statement; Sony still doesn't get it!

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm thinking about getting a NW-HD5 then, since the most important things (SQ and battery life/removability) seem to be good and for the rest it's a decent player. I don't really care for on-the-go playlists, never used any playlists on my iPod anyway. Only big downside is I'll have to use SonicStage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back