What's the difference between full Size Headphones and IEM ??
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ARSENAL FOREVER

New Head-Fier
Hi Guyzz ..
What's the difference between full Size Headphones and IEM ?? based on the following things :
Sound Clarity
Bass level
Comfortness
and whatever u know abt the differnece between them
I am a Bass lover what u recommend me to get and I use ma Ipod a a source

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 12
one goes in your ears, the other goes around your head
tongue.gif

i would say the main difference is soundstage.. but that's probably obvious

since you're using an ipod.. im guessing it needs to be portable.. i'd go with an IEM, probably the FX500 for ~$140

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Full sized headphones hurt more when you shove them into your ears...
beyersmile.png

Concerning sound quality and bass extension, both full sized cans and IEMs are capable of exceptional results. The quantity of bass will have more to do with which particular 'phones or IEMs you select, rather than which type you decide to go with.

I'll guess that most users are likely to find full sized headphones more comfortable than in-ear-monitors, but that's not to say all full sized cans are comfortable. My old Grado SR60s (full sized) and my current Etymotic ER4Ps (IEM) get fairly uncomfortable after more than an hour, while I can wear my DT880s all day.

I'm not sure of your budget or how you plan on using your 'phones, but if you'd like good sound quality, decent bass, something easy to drive from an iPod without an amplifier, and compact and unobtrusive enough to go with you everywhere all at a very reasonable price, take a look at the AKG K27i. I've got the older K26p and they're a huge bang for the buck.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 12
I find it costs quite a bit to get the same quality of sound out of an IEM as a full size headphone. But portable headphone versus IEM are a bit more evenly matched.

The difference is the sound stage as has been mentioned but also bass as well. I am using an AD700 and a portable ES7 headphone anf they are both far superior to my MOnster Turbine IEM with the exception of isolation and true portability. Now having said that there a couple of new IEM's that have better sound stage and bass being made for even less money than the Monster Turbine (based on this thread I think I would give serious thought to trying out the ATH CKS70 IEM's unless you got lots of money, then I would go for the IE8).

But if you want to save some money or don't mind full size or portable headphones both of the phones I own are great for their price and sound.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 12
It depends on the full-size headphone and the iem. It also depends upon the components in the system. Many quality full-sized headphones require well-matched home (not portable) amps and decent sources to bring out their dynamic range. Many universal iems can't compete with full-size headphones in a good system for the qualities you mentioned. At the same time, there are excellent sounding iems, that may seem pricey, but don't require the same amount of money in components (do well unamped or very well with a decent portable amp/dac), and if working within a strict budget, may prove to offer better sound quality for the money. On the high-end of things, my JH13s sound better in every way, including "soundstage," instument placement, tone, etc. than almost all full-size headphones I've heard in even the best rigs, and have completely changed my listening habits.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 12
not that any of this should matter but...

If you buy high end IEMs (especially customs), chances are nobody will use them except you, because nobody wants your earwax in their ear canals. At least headphones can still be shared to some degree. Personal audio is already pretty introverted, so it can't hurt to spread the love a little...

Also, I personally think headphones and amps (especially some tube amps) look pretty cool and serve as nice desktop decoration. And the whole process of tweaking and mixing/matching components is part of the fun of this hobby IMO.

Buying an IEM that automatically sounds good straight out of an ipod, just isn't as fun to me

In terms of sound, there's very little difference other than preferences IMO. There's IEMs that sound amazing in every way, and headphones that sound amazing in every way

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not that any of this should matter but...

Also, I personally think headphones and amps (especially some tube amps) look pretty cool and serve as nice desktop decoration. And the whole process of tweaking and mixing/matching components is part of the fun of this hobby IMO.

Totally agree, if I'm gonna blow $300 on a headphone it should look like something god himself would wear, not like a little pellet you shove in your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back