What's the difference between a 5th Gen and 6th Gen iPod Classic?
Dec 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know how to tell the difference between a 5th Gen iPod Classic and a 6th Gen. My dad got me an iPod for Christmas, and before I rip into it on Christmas Day, I want to make sure it's the right one.

Thanks!

Justin

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know how to tell the difference between a 5th Gen iPod Classic and a 6th Gen. My dad got me an iPod for Christmas, and before I rip into it on Christmas Day, I want to make sure it's the right one.

Thanks!

Justin

5th gen iPods are the iPod Video models (30GB, 60GB). 5.5th gen iPods are the same with a few minor differences like a brighter screen and slightly better battery life, IIRC (30GB, 80GB). I want to say they were available from 2005-2007, but I can't remeber what year the "Classic" started. 6/6.5/7th gen iPods are the iPod "Classic" line. They come in 80GB, 120GB, and 160GB sizes. The most recent ones, the thin 160GBs that came out this year, supposedly sound different (and better) than the earlier Classics. If your dad bought you a brand new iPod Classic since September of this year, there's a really good chance it's the 6.5/7th gen 160GB iPod Classic.

Search it and google it for more info.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Dec 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 13
Haven't thought about it but thinking about krmathis' reply. Anyone think I might be able to retrofit my 60GB Ipod Video into the newer, slimmer aluminum case if I can find one on the 'Bay for cheap? Would really rock if I go with the slim, Toshiba 240GB HDD replacement.

Gotta keep the Rockbox so just getting the newer model isn't an option, albeit it would be easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't thought about it but thinking about krmathis' reply. Anyone think I might be able to retrofit my 60GB Ipod Video into the newer, slimmer aluminum case if I can find one on the 'Bay for cheap? Would really rock if I go with the slim, Toshiba 240GB HDD replacement.

Gotta keep the Rockbox so just getting the newer model isn't an option, albeit it would be easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless someone else has done the same thing and posted the results on the internet, you'll have to compare the two shells side by side. If the logic board screws in at different points, you're screwed (bad pun, but I had to do it). Also, you'll have to make sure the screen and clickwheel line up correctly. Maybe you could try a 5th gen 30GB shell if the Classic shell won't work. Unfortunately, buying the new one and waiting for a Rockbox port isn't an option at this point.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5th gen iPods are the iPod Video models (30GB, 60GB). 5.5th gen iPods are the same with a few minor differences like a brighter screen and slightly better battery life, IIRC (30GB, 80GB). I want to say they were available from 2005-2007, but I can't remeber what year the "Classic" started. 6/6.5/7th gen iPods are the iPod "Classic" line. They come in 80GB, 120GB, and 160GB sizes. The most recent ones, the thin 160GBs that came out this year, supposedly sound different (and better) than the earlier Classics. If your dad bought you a brand new iPod Classic since September of this year, there's a really good chance it's the 6.5/7th gen 160GB iPod Classic.

Search it and google it for more info.

He bought it at Costco which makes me nervous. God knows what you're gonna get there. I wanted the thin 160 gig because I've heard that the DAC is better and sounds better (the only reason why I'm considering an iPod anyway).

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

He bought it at Costco which makes me nervous. God knows what you're gonna get there. I wanted the thin 160 gig because I've heard that the DAC is better and sounds better (the only reason why I'm considering an iPod anyway).

I've got an old Classic and, with an amp, I am more than happy with the SQ. Newer will prolly be "better" but I reckon you will be happy with whichever. Using a LOD and amp makes a huge difference to mine. People venerate the SQ of the 5th gen, much earlier model, but from what I read, the benefit is only significant if the line out is modified. Stock, I don't think there is a lot in it. Happy Christmas.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I went through a phase a week or two ago where I decided to trust my own ears. This included using the headphone out of my iPod Photo and 20GB 4th gen, and they both sounded pretty good. There was just a tiny bit of hiss, but otherwise it sounded fine with my RE0's. The LOD + amp does sound better, but the headphone out isn't nearly as bad as some people here make it out to be. Then again, I don't have JH13's and an RSA Shadow... Regardless of what iPod you'll actually be getting tomorrow (have fun, btw), it's still a free iPod, and it will most likely satisfy your needs for now. Definitely read into what other people post here, but what sounds good to your ears is the most important thing in the end.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

What is the problem with getting your IPOD at Costco? The turnover at a Costco is such that there is no way it would be below the 7th gen IPOD. I got mine there and it is the same as if I would have trekked to an Apple store. Have fun with your new IPOD, and don't forget to rip lossless.

B
darthsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 13
@krismusic,

i see in your sig that you feed your IE8 from a voyager hooked up to your classic.

i'm thinking of making this exact setup for me. I've the IE8, will get the 7th gen 160gb within a day or two. now how do you think the voyager will create a difference to the sound (listening enjoyment level)? i mean should i absolutely go and buy the voyager for this setup?

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@krismusic,

i see in your sig that you feed your IE8 from a voyager hooked up to your classic.

i'm thinking of making this exact setup for me. I've the IE8, will get the 7th gen 160gb within a day or two. now how do you think the voyager will create a difference to the sound (listening enjoyment level)? i mean should i absolutely go and buy the voyager for this setup?

Hmmm. I bought the Voyager mainly because it is made by a small UK company and has good reviews.
I intended that it would be the only portable amp that I would buy.
It probably still will be.
But. I reckon that it is quite a warm sounding amp, which may not be ideal with the IE8's.
The iBasso P3 sounds interesting, from what I have read on here and there is a "Topkit" of interchangable components available.
One of which is supossed to be a very good match for the IE8.
Having said all that.
I don't know about the 7th Gen but my older 6th Gen sounds vastly better from LOD rather than headphone out.
I would say that clarity and scale are two obvious areas of improvement.
So with any good quality amp I would say you are onto a winner.
The Russ Andrews silver LOD cable was well worth the money as well.
I recently went for custom sleeves for the IE8's. I had to send them back but before I did, I had a bit of a listen.
I hope that once I have those in regular use, I will be happy with my set up. HTH.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back