What's the deal with WMA?
Jul 1, 2001 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Neruda

Banned Moderator
I know basically nothing about this format, but I've been hearing that when compressed at, say, 128k it's just as good or better than an MP3 compressed at 256k! Can that be true? I'd really like to know, because if that's the case then why did I just go through the trouble of compressing all my CD's into MP3?

Jul 1, 2001 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 11
WMA at 128k sounds a lot better then mp3, but it adds a bit of brightness. Also, I don't think it is as good as 256k mp3, perhaps 160 or 192, which isn't bad at all. MP3Pro probably sounds better at very low bitrates though.

Jul 2, 2001 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 11
WMA is not bad as far as the sound vs file size goes but is a real pain in the ass to register after downloading

I format my hard drive periodically and move everything I want to save either to a partition or to zip or cd , but then have to re register ALL wma cuts which takes some time

not to mention the "timed play " of the legal downloads .

As if I have nothiong better to do but add "expiration" notations to all

But code your own and the saved space is real nice , but how many portables play WMA ?

personal preference at sane bit rates

Liquid Audio/AAC

WMA

MP3

YMMV

Jul 2, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 11
rick, there are a several mp3 portables that have the ability to play WMA, including the Treo player which I've been obsessed with for months now. So I was just curious, thanks.

Jul 2, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the tip N

guess I'm slippin' lately ,so much to do-so little time

BTW-I get around all that WMA/Liquid Audio expiration crap with "total recorder"

Records whatever goesthrough the sound card , otherwise you only get the line out feed if trying to record "protected" downloads

Jul 8, 2001 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 11
rick, man, i think the RCA mp3/cd player SUCKS! i wanted to get it for a long time.......correction: loooooooooong time.

I saw it today in best buy, and the screen looked to be the EXACT SAME screen from the RCA Lyra - the same size, everything.

Very disturbing......

Jul 8, 2001 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Man am I sorry to hear that !

Been holding out for a while , even contacted RCA and Radio Shack without any real info

What initially braught me to this point was the menu and file system , not as much the performance since I would be doing an amped line out

And I got snoookered into a lyra player too when it first came out ,still use it on rare occasions but has limitations (looks kinda cool though)

Oh well
rolleyes.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 11
it's funny, man. I take care of all my stuff really well, ya kno? Well, when i realized what an idiot i was being, listening to the Lyra when i had no real need for the size, i boxed it, with accessories, and everything. It's sittin at my dad's house, waiting to be eBay'ed.

Oh well....it sure does look cool, tho. Kewler than my MD, i think. Just, its got looks, and nothing else....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back