What's the Deal with ASIO?
Mar 16, 2005 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EBisky

100+ Head-Fier
So what's the deal with this prog?

I read some back-topics on it.

I installed it for winamp, using the .dll as my output in winamp and that ASIO4ALL prog as the "control"..I hear no difference AT ALL..so what's up??

Audigy soundcard w/Sony street style headphones(I know..got A500's on the way ;/ soundcard soon in the future)

am i doing something wrong?? is there an ASIO guide?? What does ASIO4ALL have to do with the .dll for winamp?! what do the controls in ASIO4ALL do?? I hear no difference when choosing "disable" over "enable" in ASIO4ALL..

confused,

-EB

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 8
It's probably the headphones you're using. Using better headphones you should hear a difference. A better soundcard will reveal more as well as an amp, of course.
Part of the fun is listening to your setup as it improves.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 8
asio provides direct access to the soundcard and thereby bypassing windows' kmixer which can *potentionally* affect the sound negatively.
asio also provides low latency but that is something that's usually only important to people recording music.
by using asio you might or might not hear a difference.

as for the asio4all application, it was written to provide asio-like support for soundcards that don't support it natively.
i don't use asio4all so i cannot answer the other questions.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 8
For Winamp try using out_asio.exe (there is also a .dll version), each version is zipped with several different binaries (you only need one set), each that provides support for either SSE, SSE2, or SSE3, use whatever your CPU supports.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 8
so if I am using the .dll as my output in winamp or running the .exe of ASIO, that should verify that ASIO is active??

I also can't wait for my A500's. I actually was on this site looking up info for a friend and the boards convinced me to get a pair for myself, while my friend is still undecided!
smily_headphones1.gif

-EB

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
I don't hear any noticeable difference either. I think it's just for peace of mind for hifi ears.

I would agree, in most normal listening situations, I doubt that most people can actually ABX the difference between ASIO and a normal output like DS. The windows mixer just doesn't mess up sound quality that much. That's not to say it can never happen. ASIO does however make a big difference if you want to play a DTS or Dolby Digital encoded wav through digital output.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 8
There is very slight difference in winamp provided that you already have setup winamp to give you the best it can. There is a difference though. As far as the asio plugin for winamp goes it does more bad than good on my machine with Echo Indigo + MAD - directsound + winamp5. The asio plugin seems to not play very nicelly with winamp5 and that is too bad. Oh well my sound is great even without it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah I also use Alessandro M1 which is a good enough set of can's to be able to tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back