What's the deal on the McIntosh MCD201?
Feb 19, 2007 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/s...product=MCD201

^^ Considering making a move to something along these lines at some point.

What's that player cost? Does anyone here own it? I'd love to hear from you about it, regardless of anything else.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also keep an eye out on things like that Meridian player that I see a lot of people around here using and other players along those lines.

I certainly fall in line with the school of thought that favors "dedicated source components." It's just a matter of how, when, and where you ultimately land.
wink.gif

Since I have the www.headamp.com GS-X (thanks Justin!) with both balanced and unbalanced capabilites, I'm exploring all the options that go along with going balanced and all the rest of it.

I'm just taking a look at the scenery right now and seeing what's what and looking to get educated.

I'm pleased enough with my Onkyo DVSP1000 Universal player and my current setup "as is", but if I the ability to go balanced all the way and finish it at some point, maybe it's something I need to explore further.

I'm halfway fooling with the idea of selling the Onkyo since I basically have gone all high def for my movie watching, but I'm certainly in no eager hurry to make any moves either way.

I'm very pleased enough with the Onkyo 1000 as an audio player and I could keep it just for that, if nothing else.

Balanced or unbalanced: I guess what I'm trying to figure out, first and foremost: What kind of "law of diminshing returns" am I staring down if I made an audio dedicated move to something like this McIntosh player?

Obviously the McIntosh name needs no qualifications or expectations, and I would expect anything from them to blow something like an Onkyo anything out of the water.

What are the ballpark going prices on that McIntosh player and if you look at my equipment profile...is it just complete overkill anyways?

I wish that McIntosh played DVD-A. That's the only so called "flaw" I can find on it.
wink.gif

Just musing... Help me out gang, or give me a couple of hard, crisp slaps if nothing else.

I feel like my options are pretty wide open with the present gear that I have, especially the GS-X, so I just want to make the most of it within reason.
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, the Onkyo DVSP1000's brother is the Integra 10.5 if that means anything to anyone.

EDIT: Did a quick search at AVS and found some older threads with some shockingly mixed results. Hmmm....

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back