What's the consensus on bose?
Oct 19, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #76 of 90
Depends on what product you're looking for. The Soundlink Mini is an excellent product. Their headphones are overpriced for what you get sound wise, but they're phenomenal in terms of comfort. For noise-canceling they're still at the top if not the best.

For the sound, Bose headphones have a very odd sound. Not musical at all.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #77 of 90

Meh.  I think that's a bit too harsh, really.  They sound plenty musical to me.  They're just overpriced compared to similar-sounding models from companies like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, and even Sony.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #78 of 90
Meh.  I think that's a bit too harsh, really.  They sound plenty musical to me.  They're just overpriced compared to similar-sounding models from companies like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, and even Sony.

To me, the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones have an odd sound to them. I actually prefer my Koss Portapro.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #79 of 90
To me, the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones have an odd sound to them. I actually prefer my Koss Portapro.

I'd agree - they're not bad sounding at all, but they have a "deadness" to them that more conventional headphones don't have (even the TriPort/AE series for example). Certainly a unique presentation compared to many other cans. Overall I don't mind it, and do enjoy my QC15, but they certainly are doing something very different than most/many other cans I've heard.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #80 of 90
  They're just overpriced compared to similar-sounding models from companies like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, and even Sony.

Either you don't care about the price and go for the best  -  Bose aren't good there
Or you do care about the price  -  again Bose aren't good there, since there are better options for the money as you said yourself

At least how I look on it... can't be both good and overpriced 

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #81 of 90

I'd agree - they're not bad sounding at all, but they have a "deadness" to them that more conventional headphones don't have (even the TriPort/AE series for example). Certainly a unique presentation compared to many other cans. Overall I don't mind it, and do enjoy my QC15, but they certainly are doing something very different than most/many other cans I've heard.

Try the QC15 with a normal headphone cable instead of the proprietary stock cables. (Which have electronics on them that interfere with the signal.) Sounds much better and tames the sibilance too.

Either you don't care about the price and go for the best  -  Bose aren't good there
Or you do care about the price  -  again Bose aren't good there, since there are better options for the money as you said yourself

At least how I look on it... can't be both good and overpriced 

I honestly like the QC15 more than the HD 650, HD 700, and many other headphones. It's nowhere near as good objectively, but I just enjoy it more. Some of its colorations make music more exciting. There's no point talking about how good or bad a headphone is (in price, performance, or both) when personal preference is the only thing that matters. (But for the record, I do like STAX electrostatic earspeakers more than anything else.)

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #82 of 90

There's no point talking about how good or bad a headphone is (in price, performance, or both) when personal preference is the only thing that matters. 

Then this website is pointless as well as any review ever about anything... We should talk how good or bad headphone is both in value and performance, that's the whole point, at least how I look at it.

I just said my opinion based on my experience which I share with couple of friends who had different Bose headphones from me

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #83 of 90

Try the QC15 with a normal headphone cable instead of the proprietary stock cables. (Which have electronics on them that interfere with the signal.) Sounds much better and tames the sibilance too.

Could you elaborate on this?  I've seen this claimed several times, and I'm wondering what "electronics" Bose puts in the cable that interferes with the signal.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #84 of 90
What a strange thread. Began by answering the OP's question with "they enhance the sound in a way not everyone likes, they're more expensive than other cans due to big marketing budgets, they are mostly very comfy to wear and with certain models offer the best noise cancellation". Then became a discussion on car audio systems.

I hope the OP got the answer he was looking for :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #85 of 90
  Then this website is pointless as well as any review ever about anything... We should talk how good or bad headphone is both in value and performance, that's the whole point, at least how I look at it.

I just said my opinion based on my experience which I share with couple of friends who had different Bose headphones from me

You misunderstand. I am saying that you shouldn't tell someone "X headphone sucks and you won't like it.", because you don't know that. Someone might like a headphone you dislike. All you can do is express your own views, but you can never assume that others will feel the same way. I didn't mean what I said literally. Could've worded it better. Sorry for the confusion.

Could you elaborate on this?  I've seen this claimed several times, and I'm wondering what "electronics" Bose puts in the cable that interferes with the signal.

Both stock cables have a proprietary connector with a switch on it that interfaces with the active circuitry in the headphones. See the large connector here? It has electronics in it. The remote cable has an in-line remote that messes with the signal even more and sounds even worse than the audio only stock cable. When you use a normal headphone cable with the QC15, the right-left channels are switched due to that active circuitry in the headphones. You also have to wrap something (I used toilet paper. lol) around the connector shell to keep normal cables in place.

Oct 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #86 of 90

Both stock cables have a proprietary connector with a switch on it that interfaces with the active circuitry in the headphones. See the large connector here? It has electronics in it. The remote cable has an in-line remote that messes with the signal even more and sounds even worse than the audio only stock cable. When you use a normal headphone cable with the QC15, the right-left channels are switched due to that active circuitry in the headphones. You also have to wrap something (I used toilet paper. lol) around the connector shell to keep normal cables in place.

I see.  The QC25 cable doesn't have anything like this.  It's just a cable with a standard (2.5mm) end.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #87 of 90
  I see.  The QC25 cable doesn't have anything like this.  It's just a cable with a standard (2.5mm) end.

It still has a remote on it, which may or may not audibly interfere. Even if it didn't, it could still have worse sound quality than a properly designed cable. I had an extensive chat with someone who designs cables. He told me about how many stock headphone cables are awful and basically act as resistors instead of being just a cable. After hearing this, I compared my V-MODA Audio Only Cable to my Belkin mini-stereo cable, and whaddaya know...the latter sounded much better.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #88 of 90
When people talk about differences between cables being a myth and not actually audible, they are referring to well-engineered MID-FI cables as opposed to the super-over-the-top expensive hi-fi multi-thousand-dollar cables.  Yeah, THERE you won't find an audible difference if you do blind A/B testing.  However, there CAN indeed be a huge difference in sound between stock cables and crappy low-fi cables, and good mid-fi cables. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #89 of 90
  When people talk about differences between cables being a myth and not actually audible, they are referring to well-engineered MID-FI cables as opposed to the super-over-the-top expensive hi-fi multi-thousand-dollar cables.  Yeah, THERE you won't find an audible difference if you do blind A/B testing.  However, there CAN indeed be a huge difference in sound between stock cables and crappy low-fi cables, and good mid-fi cables. 

I don't doubt that.  I was just curious what electronics would be in the cable.  

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #90 of 90
The Bose SoundTrue IE is a hit for bassheads. It offers BASS and the other part of the spectrum ist handeled ok. I like them better than the neutral Sennheiser Momentums although I am a big Sennheiser fan since the HD800S. The SoundTrue is perfect for bass heavy music like most things with screaming guitars and it works splendid with Techno. It sticks like glue to the ears and the silicone tips are perfect for my ears. Unfortunately the cable is a bit microphonic. I use them with an old AK100. Lovely. I can listen for hours and hours, they give me comfortable and very enjoyable music. But they are not High End, at least not as we, the esoteric listeners may regard it. They are fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back