what's the cleanest audio software/apps available for android phones ?
Jul 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
i have a android phone and MEE M6PRO's , i got the M6PRO's yesterday and i found there's a definite sound quality difference between streaming a radio station from it's website vs. using Nextradio FM radio app with the next radio app being much cleaner . then i hooked them into my pioneer HT receiver over night to burn in and listened to a little wilson phillips from the CD player with a optical audio connection to my reciever . holy jamoly what a difference !! clarity skyrocketed ! both the highs and lows exceeded what i had heard before with my sennheiser 555 headphones . the 555's have better and much larger sound stage but i think that's their biggest advantage over the M6PRO's . really amazing IMO .

i know ultimately the phone's hardware is going to be the final limitation in it's audio resolution ability and that it will never equal my HT equipment (modest but decent enough for me) . but software/apps/programs have to be equally up to snuff to take advantage of what audio quality is available . i'm not concerned about file sizes , i've got a 32 gig card in the phone and it can take up to 128 gig .

so what's the cleanest audio software/apps available for android phones ? 

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 7
op, you seem to be comparing net radio apps to a cd, which is your only mistake. Net radio has some of the worst quality because a) it is often 128kbps or less, b) it is not only stored compressed but transcoded again for transmission, and c) it is compressed as mp3. 

If you want that sweet sweet sound you are going to need to store it local, either as lossless flac or high bitrate AAC. You didn't say what your phone is but android phones have pretty good audio, after all it is part of their design now. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I only use locally stored FLAC (I'd normally use 320kbps, but I use my phone to dock as a music server for my main rig, and I just swap microSD cards) and the only time I encountered noise on my Android was whenever I used the DSP features on NeutronMusicPlayer on my SGS3; it worked normally on my original Galaxy S. An update sometime in 2013 fixed it and it's been functioning normally ever since.

I don't use internet radio on it because, as much as I have spare batteries charged and ready, 4G and even just WiFi drain the hell out of the battery too quickly. I have an iPad2 with a much larger battery and Spotify, but no noise on that one.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the replies folks :) 
my phone is a sharp aquos crystal . i guess i need to learn how to put my CDs on the phone without any compression 

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 7
  thanks for the replies folks :) 
my phone is a sharp aquos crystal . i guess i need to learn how to put my CDs on the phone without any compression 

Download MediaMonkey into your computer, look for the rip settings, then just put in a CD and rip it. Use the highest FLAC compression. It's basically like a ZIP file, so "compression" here just means a smaller file but will take longer to rip - if you're using a laptop and you're doing several discs make sure it's plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back