What's the Buzzzzzzzzz?
Mar 13, 2005 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nick B

Head-Fier
Greetings Learned Forum!

Well, my new Senn 595's arrived unscathed from the nameless, faceless internet merchant. I have finally had the chance to spend a bit of time with them. My first, and overwhelming impression is buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. There is a horrible buzz coming from the left phone only.

My first thought was the funky GIZMO I am running them from. Here is a link with a description of what I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT.

I emailed ASL with a description of the problem. I received a thoughtful and knowledgeable response within a few hours. Kudos to ASL for their customer service! The response was that their device is completely passive and could not be responsible for the buzz. She suggested that the amp I am using has the noise, but that it only becomes noticeable with the sensitivity and low impedence that headphones provide. She suggested I turn on my amp and nothing else, then put my ear against a tweeter and listen for the sound.

SON OF GUN! There it was. So now what?

Am I back to the drawing board, looking for a headphone amp to run directly off of my CD player? Is there any way to remedy the situation? And here is the big question: Why does the buzz only come out of the left phone? That one has really got me.

As always, I greatly appreciate your opinions and suggestions. Take care.

Nick B

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you changed anything about or around your equipment lately? I am thinking of new IC's, changed the locations of the powerstrips or changed the layout of the sources and amps? Perhaps it i just a matter of disconnecting everything, doing some cleaning and general inspection of all cables? You know - just to begin with something.

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Good morning Glod, and thanks for your reply. No, I have not changed anything. The entire system, including the ICs, is brand new and was only set-up around the first of the year. I am using a Zero Surge surge protector/noise filter that supposedly does an excellent job of filtering EMI/RFI contamination.

I guess the buzz was always there. It was just unnoticeable because of the higher impedance and lower sensitivity of the loudspeakers. Take care.

Nick B

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Try switching AC outlets. In my house some outlets humm/ buzz more than others. I ended up getting a furman PL+ conditioner to fix mp tube problem. Do you have a dimmer switch in the circuit? Those things can emit all kinds of 60 Hz buzz.

Garrett

Mar 13, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the thought, Garrett. I tried moving to another outlet, and it was exactly the same. BTW, I am using a Zero Surge Surge Protector and line conditioner. I don't think it's any type of interference.

Nick B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back