What's the big deal with SR60's?
Feb 13, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When judging any sound product, you have to realize that lastly, good sound quality is not a linear pursuit. A $100 headphone does not sound 2 times better than the top $50 headphones

Of course you are right, but how would you assert that product A sounded 2x as good as product B anyway?

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 48
Some people like fish, some meat, some both. I guess there is nothing on the planet that everbody likes (except beer then)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 48
I never really understood the hype either.

I sold my yearold sr60's today for 60€
icon10.gif
I paid about 50€(69$) in New York last march, gotta love the grado prices here in europe
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 48
It's interesting that I'm defending the SR60, but I had actually sold mine a long time ago also....for me, I didn't like them because they hurt my ears (I just don't like earphones that rest on my ears), and I found their sound signature a bit fatiguing.

I still think they are one of a handful of headphones worth buying in the under $100 range. They are in the top ten in that category.

I think the real key point I'm making is: The SR60 are worthy because they are hifi headphones amongst a lot of crap out there. Even if they aren't THAT much better than a lot of similarly priced headphones, they are still better than the competition in most aspects of sound quality.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have about 25-30 hours on them. I would think that would be enough to where I would get the point on how they sound. I don't think any further burn-in will improve them dramatically.

(to be honest (with exception to the 280's) I kinda think burn-in can act as a placebo effect on some ppl. I really think burn in is just in ppl's head's)

my MS-1s bloomed at around 35-40, so mebbe hold out a bit longer? no joke.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the reason why I got these was because I read they are great with guitars, cymbals, and rock in general. Since rock is all i listen to then i thought they would kick major ass (based on all the hype ppl give them).

Don't get me wrong, i like them. I'm just not impressed. I don't see what makes them so special. The guitars sound just as good on any other headphone. I mean, they sound like a pair of decent headphones. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't take off when I play rock anymore then when i listen to a classical track...so i don't know what everyone is getting excited about.

yeah, I had the 280 pro and 60 at the same time once..and cannot offer you any other advice than to try the house sound of different headphone Mfr's, sounds like you dislike your 60's.. I am sure someone h
biggrin.gif
re will take them off your hands though,
cheers

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #37 of 48
Dont discount them until you have a set of yellow pads on them!

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burn-in isn't just listening to em for x number of hours when theyre new, it involves playing "pink noise" on your headphones for extended periods, like overnight. Thats about where my knowledge on the subject, can somebody else jump in here & help me out with specifics & where you can get this pink noise

Er no. Pink noise is just a method of doing it..

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 48
I have nowhere to speak among all the guru's around here, but the quality and detail of the sound is something I have had lacking on any other phones. Listening through a couple of songs after I got my Grados, I could hear guitar slides, as well as a whole new appreciation for Claypool. The low bass tones may not be what others are, but that wouldn't suit me either as I like to feel my bass too! I'll listen to my car stereo for that...

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I was used to higher end headphones when I listened to the SR-60, I didn't really see the hype around them either. They are clearly colored towards the treble, and well just aren't as refined as the Sony MDR-V6....which sells for the same price. I guess it's because there are so few headphones in that price range that offer clarity, that people hype them up. My 325s have a much better presentation.

This is exactly the same as my thought about SR60. After reading many hypes related to SR60 I bought one from Amazon. I was very disappointed. They are not bad but at the same time not very impressive at all.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the same as my thought about SR60. After reading many hypes related to SR60 I bought one from Amazon. I was very disappointed. They are not bad but at the same time not very impressive at all.

that's how i feel. they are nice, but not impressive. plus they kill my ears (comfort wise).

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #43 of 48
They're less comfortable than the HD280s, but I can't go back to them now.
SR60 has a great sense of air, especially when compared to the HD280.
And of course the HD280 suffers the lack-of-bass thing.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people like them others do not... its all just a matter of preference. Some find them enjoyable for rock while others find them too aggressive and closed-in sounding. The drivers do take some time to settle down and loose at least some of their harsh edge, but even that is not a night and day difference IMHO.

It amazes me how many new members purchase headphones based strictly on forum member's opinions. I don't know what else to tell you, you have learned the hard way why members should demo gear first hand whenever possible.

I don't think you will find too many members who proclaim them the end-all, top of the heap headphone for rock. But for their price they offer an exceptional value.

QFTW, I recently went to Seattle to demo as many phones as I could. I too was under the impression that the SR60s and other Grados would be on a different level of listening. the SR60's were decent cans and had abit more bass then the SR80's, 125's & 225's. Also the 60's did not sound as clear, bright or detailed as the others. But that might be because the SR60's had comfies, and the others had the bowls.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're less comfortable than the HD280s, but I can't go back to them now.
SR60 has a great sense of air, especially when compared to the HD280.
And of course the HD280 suffers the lack-of-bass thing.

actually i think the 280's have much better bass: deeper, punchier...you just have to eq right and they are better. No matter how much i eq the bass on the 60's it doesn't match that of the 280's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back