Whats the big deal with antialiasing filters?
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Even though they are inaudible, they can still cause a havoc on your speakers. I mean, if you are talking about the high frequency noise filtering that is applied after DA conversion.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 8
residual artifacts

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Jan 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 8
lavry is well known for HATING post-DAC filtration.

Why not post up the oppositions point, or data on how digital noise can cause an amp to hit its slew-rate limit and fuxor everything else?

anyways, to actually answer the OP's q, although it may be a misused wording:

From wikipedia:
Antialiasing means removing signal components that have a higher frequency than is able to be properly resolved by the recording (or sampling) device.

my own drivel:
antialiasing a PRE-digitization filter which stops the audio band at roughly 1/2 of the sample rate. As the audio frequency approaches the digital sample frequency the 2 can interact in "intersting" ways.
Meier actually has some good articles about it happening IN the audio band with CD sample rates. check out the analouger.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the name "ffrr" have any relation to "Full Frequency Range Recording"?

Yes, has everything to do with it. I have an on location recording business(focus on classical/acoustic music..anything that does not require sound reinforcement), and was mentored/trained in that art of recording by someone who worked for Decca for 27 years. I still dont know anything in the grand scheme, but hope to one day have my recordings be at least a fraction as good as some of those Decca releases...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back