whats the best way to clean a cd lens?
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 3
What is the problem, I guess the player does not read? Due to what? Dust? Smoke? Best approach is to carefully use photo lens cleaning equipment (little blow-brush for example, or canned air) so you do not scratch the lens or misalign it. If cleaning did not help, maybe there is sth wrong with the pickup itself. Stay away from "cleaning CDs". The brush will either not reach the lens & do nothing, or bang against it and possibly make things worse. That would be like brain surgery with a blender.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 3
I disagree about the lens cleaning CDs. My head unit in my car wasn't reading CDs at all for months and I decided $10 is worth it to get a cleaning CD and see if it'll fix it. It has small brushes that are really flimsy and I doubted it would work but I gave it a shot.

At first it couldn't read the CD so I couldn't play the cleaning track. I kept making it retry for a while and at some point it started reading. I played that 20 second track about 20 times and tried my normal CDs. They worked perfectly fine. I did the cleaning thing for a bit more just in case. It's completely fixed my CD player's problem so I'm happy with the $10 spent. I used the Maxell automotive CD lens cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back