what's the best universal IM/chat program?
Jun 9, 2005 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I'm concerned with network compatibility with AOL IM, Yahoo, and MSN Messengers. How is the security and feature set with one of these universal clients? Oh yeah, I use windows.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 14
I use gaim. Some use Trillion.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Yeah...Trillian works great!

i dont use any IMs lol. but when i did, i used Trillian. was convenient to have all the diff IM programs funnel into just one.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 14
I use Yahoo. It works ok. I used to use MSN but i think it sucks!
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 14
I use GAIM and it supports all of the major IM protocols you mentioned, but it is open source and free software. You can install a simple plugin for RSA encryption for all of the IM protocols so you'll get secure communications plus it supports the SILC protocol that is built with its own strong encryption. It works for both Microsoft Windows and BSD and Linux.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Gaim is by far my favourite multi-system IM client. It supports most of the text chat features of ICQ, YIM, AIM, and MSN but falls down a bit in support for things like file transfer. Considering that it takes up less memory by itself than any of the individual clients and keeps a consistent UI, I find it quite worthwhile to give up a few features. Last time I tried Trillian a while back I did not like it at all. Goofy interface and a bit of a memory pig.

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 14
I used trillian a while back and didn't like the interface. I will try GAIM out. Those seemed the most popular. I was just wondering if there was something else I havn't heard of.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 14
GAIM is it for right now. It supports up to 10 IM protocols and the open source, free software code will allow the developer or yours truly to make provisions for new IM protocols on the fly with no need to get separate multi-IM programs that cost more money. SILC + the GAIM plugin to enable RSA AES-TwoFish 256bit cipher/decipher key pairs alone make GAIM the most secure multi-IM program available for Windows, Linux, BSD, UNIX, and Macintosh OS X Tiger plus Qtopia (Compaq iPaq PDAs equipped with a RJ-45, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi 802.11b). Oh yeah, here it is: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Gaim works great for me, you just lose some of the features of the dedicated clients, but many of those that you lose are really really annoying.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 14
If they'd develop Miranda a little more I'd use it in an instant. I did for a little while, and while the bare-bones part of it was what attracted me to it in the first place, it was a little TOO bare-bones at that time. I wonder if it is better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back