Whats the Best Turntable I Can Get for Under $700
Aug 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zer010gic

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I have been looking around and noticed alot of turntables for under $700. I would be really interested in what some of the forum members would recommend. It need to be a full unit with arm and cart. I look forward to reading the recommendations.

Corey

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 19
I would go used. You could get a Rega P3 for under $700 with cart. If you want new I like the Rega P2-$495 w/o cart. The Music Hall MMF-5 is nice for $629 with cart. BTW, there is a Nottingham Horizon on Audiogon for $850.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 19
couldn't be happier with my P3 for the price, but it's the only TT i've owned, so I can't compare it. It's definitely convenient with the dust cover and it stays setup.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 19
Technics SL1200 with an Origin Live OL1 arm, OL mounting plate and Audio Technica AT440MLA will eat up Rega's and Pro-jects for breakfast but you will need to fit the tonearm yourself although this is pretty straightforward.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 19
I've got a Rega P1 and at $350 it's s steal. That leaves you some cash to find a decent Phono stage as well. You can also upgrade the MDF platter and mat for $69 to a glass platter and better felt mat. I know Music Direct has this for sale, I'm sure other authorized Rega dealers can get it too. I use a Bottlehead Seduction phono stage as well.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technics SL1200 with an Origin Live OL1 arm, OL mounting plate and Audio Technica AT440MLA will eat up Rega's and Pro-jects for breakfast but you will need to fit the tonearm yourself although this is pretty straightforward.

This is probably over budget but I like your style just the same memepool.I wouldn't know how to do any better short of finding a free Garrard 301 in a dumpster.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably over budget but I like your style just the same memepool.I wouldn't know how to do any better short of finding a free Garrard 301 in a dumpster.

Technics is about 400 over there yes?
OL1 (unmodded) + Mount is 270 + shipping from OL
or arm is 240 from needledoctor.com
soundsupports mount is about 50US + shipping from UK (ebay)
AT440MLA is 84 from LPgear

so probably closer to 800 but worth the extra I'm sure you'd agree
lambda.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 19
I've seen a lot of Linn Sondek LP12s on ebay for about this price range.. is that still a good table? Maybe I'll pick one up one day if it its not bad but for now... none of that filthy vinyl business for me.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a lot of Linn Sondek LP12s on ebay for about this price range.. is that still a good table?

Any variety of Linn Sondek is an excellent table! One of the best ever made. If you can pick one up for 700USD then you're onto a winner. Even a basic version of the LP12, poorly set up, will comfortably outclass a Rega.

Linn will service and upgrade every table they have have made (for a price)and there are loads of 3rd party upgrades from companies like The Funk Firm ( Pink Triangle) as well so these tables are very well supported.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 19
For the Technics SL12xx, you could just get the turntable and good cartridge and then worry about the arm later. Or do like most and just keep the stock arm since it's highly underrated and add on a fluid damper for it which costs $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back