What's the best sounding portable CD player?
Dec 7, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 36
I agree with you, Russ. The Sony D-25S is a killer ! I have a never heard a PCDP sound so good, and I have a D-EJ01. The latter does have a great line out, however.

Dec 7, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 36
Its all about Old Sony's or New Panas. Old Panas are "ok"...if you want a player that you would feel like avoiding its anti-shock. Course thats just me and it is too noticable a degradation to my ears.

Dec 8, 2001 at 6:37 AM Post #18 of 36
How about Sony D-777 and Sony D-E905? I have the D777 and wonder how's good is the 905....? I will go back home and do some search on the almightly D-E905.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:36 AM Post #19 of 36
Hi,

I only have 3 current players, the Panasonic SW860 (the metal grey shockwave player), a Philips AZ9101 (the one with the see through blue cover), and a Radio Shack 3904. Of these three I like the Radio Shack player the best in terms of sound quality. Its build quality is pretty shabby though, and the anti-shock only works half of the time. Still, it is/was a great player for 40-50 bucks if you can still find it at Radio Shack.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 36
I've got a Denon DCp-100 that I want to trade for a set of any two of the following Sennheisser 600s. etymotic 4rs, Cosmic or max.

I would be willing to send it to you for sonic evaluation and if you weren't completely ecstatic over the sound quality I would refund hte money plus your shipping costs.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Well, given that Dan can't make use of it until he returns from his trip, would you want me to lend the spare D-25S to you instead? I could ship it out within a week or two at the most.

Wow! Thanks for the offer, Russ! But I think I'll pass this time -- I'm *really* busy right now with the holidays, and I already have to do a couple HeadFi reviews
wink.gif
But it's definitely tempting -- I'm curious about the unit.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #22 of 36
As I know,
The best PCDP is surely SONY DISCMAN D-Z555 which was made in1989. Then D-303 ,made in 1990,also has a quite good sound similar to that of D-Z555. Others like D-335(1994),D-777(1995),D-E900/905(1998) and D-Ej01(1999) are all very well sounded, but they are not as good as D-Z555 and D-303.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:52 AM Post #23 of 36
lol, ive been using this really crappy oritron that was like 30 bucks at best buy. but it does have a nice little line out. Im thinking of upgrading to the 4s

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 36
eek.gif
, acidtripwow!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
!!!

Most currently produced PCDPs have fairly crappy headphone outs (though less sucky than the even crappier headphones that come bundled with them). GRRRRRR!!!
mad.gif
And fewer current PCDPs have line outs than the number of PCDPs with line outs available several years ago.

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 36
I'm gonna stand against everyone here perhaps, but I don't think the old Sony players were all that supperior to the newer Sonys and Panasonics.
I have D345 and D-EJ725 (the former is a 1996 model) plus one of these cheap portables with 20 mW headphone amp for 40 bucks.
IMO the old Sony may have the flattest rerponse of the 3 but the sound is, hmm.... unexciting. Not enough details perhaps. On top of that the anti skip is lousy and it eats batteries fairly fast. One thing is true though. I've had it for close to 6 years and it has taken some beating without ever complaining. Great built.
At the moment I'm really enjoying my cheap Denver player. With the right phones it gives me the sound I like. I mean I have several portable phones, so I can always pick the "right" set to compensate for the player's colorations(all portables I've heard awere colored in one way or another, at least through the headjack). After all, the differences in sound between PCDP are fairly minor compared to those between cans.

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 36
Even if the D777 isn't the best PCDP ever made, I don't wanna go any higher... 7 years old, and it still sounds amazing
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Contrary to popular belief in these parts, I think it sounds BRILLIANT with EX70s, and no bass boost... something about the combo just really hits me... yeah, it can be a bit shrill at high volumes, but stick it at between 4-6, and it easily matches the equivilant sound per volume of my home setup!!

Compared to my D-EJ825... they are like chalk and cheese... the 825 pales in comparison... funny test for D777 owners... take the unit to a shop, moan that its dieing, and say you need a replacement... let the assistant listen to it, and... see them look in ernest... I did that not so long ago... versus a D-EJ925... the shop keeper told me to get my unit fixed professionally... and NOT to buy ANYTHING current as i'd be dissapointed...

Turning down a sale, that tells you something
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 36
Duncan,
I second you on that. I too..have the D777 and it is amazing. I also had the 925 for a while and has to let it go, b/c it sure can dance, but it can't sing.
At the moment, i will begin my search for the D905.... The D905 has optical output, backlit remote, longer battery life, dual one bit, a classy look of D777and ESP2. ...I hope I will get my hand on it soon.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 36
I owned the Sony D-777 and liked the case and the well lit display. I was not as fond of hte sound. The Denon Dcp-100 clearly blew it out of the water for imaging, focus, S/N ratio, and audible distortion. The Eq feature was nice but polluted the sound chain too much to be of any real use unless you were listening with terrible headphones that needed some help in the bass dept. It is true that the older Sonys sound much more fuller and well rounded than the newer units which seem "Anemic" by comparision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back