Whats the best soundcard or dac+amp for <$1000?
Aug 2, 2004 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've been looking into ripping cds to my pc and running closed headphones from it. I currently have this hi-fi setup: Rotel Rcd-991ae/Arcam a85/Dynaudio 62s. The soundcard that looks most likely to equal this setup is the Lynx L22. I think I need a headphone amp to go with it though, looks like its just a pcb dac. Talking of dacs the one you all seem to like is the benchmark, it also has the added advantage of a headphone amp built-in. The echo layla is similar but seems to have been dis-continued. Any thoughts on what I've said? Other than that the questions in the title, thanks.

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 23
If you're using a full-sized PC (not a laptop), then the best card under $1000 would probably be the RME HDSP 9632. A good alternative would be the EMU 1212m or 1820m. If you want to get a DAC then the Benchmark + Chaintech AV-710 (flashed to Audiotrack Prodigy) would probably be the best solution.

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't know if you read my big comparison of the Benchmark to a number of high-end soundcards, but it kicks them all in the nuts easily, even over the HDSP modded. I have not heard a Lynx card, so I don't know about their sound, but I really doubt it will beat the Benchmark. The benefit of the Benchmark is that you can use a cheapie soundcard like the Chaintech AV710 with no loss of sound quality, whereas other DACs tend to be more transport dependant, though that can be partially remedied by a device like the Monarchy DIP, but that adds the cost of the unit itself, another digital cable, another power cable...

I'd recommend:

AV710 -> optical cable of your choice -> Benchmark DAC1 (what I have
biggrin.gif
)

or

EMU 1212M or 0404M -> optical cable of your choice -> Monarchy DIP (optional, but preferred for best SQ) -> coaxial digital cable of your chioce (ditto) -> Scott Nixon TubeDAC (or varieties thereof) or Ack! Dack

Note I haven't used the latter potential system, it is constructed based off of the high marks trusted members have given those devices (save the EMU which I know inside&out).

Notice I haven't mentioned anything about staying with an internal card only. This is because you are talking about a price point that enables you to get more than any computer-only device I've ever used has provided, in terms of sound quality. The main advantages of staying with a card-only are low cost (not an issue for you), keeping it discreet (again, not an issue), or keeping it simple for simplicity's sake (ditto).

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 23
What headphones would you be using with your new source? That could make a difference in terms of how cold/warm, bright/dark you'd want your source to be.

For example, the Sony CD3000's sound too bright on the Benchmark DAC1 (according to Iron_Dreamer; I haven't listened to it myself).

Aug 2, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
What headphones would you be using with your new source? That could make a difference in terms of how cold/warm, bright/dark you'd want your source to be.

For example, the Sony CD3000's sound too bright on the Benchmark DAC1 (according to Iron_Dreamer; I haven't listened to it myself).

I was thinking of these as they seem to be the best closed headphones you can get without having a mega-buck headphone amp:
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Sennheiser HD-280 pro
Beyerdynamic DT770M
Ultrasone HFI-700
Audio Technica ATH-A1000
Why closed? Well I'd like the approx. 50db from the tv (I share it with my bro) to be almost in-audiable when listening to music. I've realised background noise needs to be reduced so I can set my music at a lower level, and still get a sense of loudness. This is because I have tinitus at 19,
eek.gif
as a result of listening to 2kw sound systems a few years ago, courtesy of a mate and metallica.
wink.gif
You're heart pounded with the beat.
biggrin.gif
Thats the reason for my move from speakers to closed headphones though.

Aug 2, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Quote:

AV710 -> optical cable of your choice -> Benchmark DAC1.

ditto

I own the E-MU. But still, ditto..
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
I own the E-MU. But still, ditto..
wink.gif

hey maybe we start a ditto thread as well.
i have this and going strong
The Benchmark has all the inputs and outputs busy what with connections from my dvd player, the receiver and the computer into it.

Aug 2, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I can't speak fo rthe other cans you listed, but the DT770-80 and DAC1 have mad synergy, I can't fault anything about this combo, it sounds fabulous. Comparisons with the HD650/Cardas to come.

'Mad synergy', and on that line I'm sold! That was the combo I was leaning towards so I think a dac-1/dt770-80 is coming my way.
3000smile.gif
I'll get a chaintech av-710 as well and disable the on-board sound.
Final question though: Whats the best player and plug-in for sound quality/ soundstage when playing back lossless files through headphones? I use musicmatch with the dolby headphone plug-in and to my ears, its better than wmp with the 4front or hearo plug-ins.

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 23
You'll want to use foobar2000 and ASIO or kernel streaming output, it has a crossfeed filter you can use, though I don't think you'll need it with that rig.

FWIW, after listening to the HD650/Cardas for a while, the mids and highs of the DT770 sound a bit boxed-in, not as airy as the Senns. They do have a bit more low bass power, though. The DT770/80 has a slight raise in the highs around 5kHz or so that makes sibilance a little more obvious than the HD650, but it is nothing like the other DT770 models (250 and 600) or the V6, thank god. I only noticed it by comparing with the HD650. The HD650/Cardas is a nice upgrade from the DT770/80 in my rig, but it ain't worth 3x the price and the loss of isolation, that said, since I didn't pay retail, it's stayin'.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
i wish some of the DIY gurus would come up with a cheap comparable DIY DAC since i cant afford the Benchmark DAC1

funny thing, i tried to find one for so long.
Now that I have it, I can't understand how I went without it for so long.
My recommendation, save your money and buy the benchmark, you will not repent it one bit

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
My recommendation, save your money and buy the benchmark, you will not repent it one bit

Until the next big thing comes along, eh?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back