What's the best solid state headphone amp today?
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #77 of 91
Quote:
Keep an eye out for the new Liquid Gold

+1
popcorn.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #78 of 91
Sorry to bump old thread, but I am including the First Watt F3 by Mr. Nelson Pass. While not HP amp per se, I am using it exclusively as such, with my he-6 and hd800 and I am in LOVE! 
gs1000.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #82 of 91
Quote:
The best solid state headphone amp I've heard was one of the Red Wine Audio amps.

Which model? care to comment about the headphone you used with it? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #83 of 91
I'm pretty happy with my Grace m903. It's got it all in one package. DAC, Preamp, Amp. Great Bass, smooth highs, GOBS of power and a remote control! Best money I've spent yet.  
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #84 of 91
I have a 3 channel rockhopper audio beta 22 with sigma 22 dual power supply. all black. I will never sell this amp. d'ont know if it is the best ss amp but it is the best amp I have ever owned. it is not balanced and I like it that way. balanced headphones is not my thing.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #85 of 91
Quote:
I have a 3 channel rockhopper audio beta 22 with sigma 22 dual power supply. all black. I will never sell this amp. d'ont know if it is the best ss amp but it is the best amp I have ever owned. it is not balanced and I like it that way. balanced headphones is not my thing.

What's your favorite headphones with that amp and why?

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #86 of 91
Quote:
I'm pretty happy with my Grace m903. It's got it all in one package. DAC, Preamp, Amp. Great Bass, smooth highs, GOBS of power and a remote control! Best money I've spent yet.  
smile.gif

That one has great reviews from Stereophile. I would love to hear it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #87 of 91
Quote:
That one has great reviews from Stereophile. I would love to hear it.

It's quite nice. Very smooth with lots of impact. I'd characterize it as fairly neutral without much coloration, but tends toward the warmer side. It matches up nicely with a lot of different headphones I've had, but it really brought out the Bass in my HE500s. I've been very happy with it and the customer service at Grace is outstanding. I can very easily recommend it. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #88 of 91
Quote:
It's quite nice. Very smooth with lots of impact. I'd characterize it as fairly neutral without much coloration, but tends toward the warmer side. It matches up nicely with a lot of different headphones I've had, but it really brought out the Bass in my HE500s. I've been very happy with it and the customer service at Grace is outstanding. I can very easily recommend it

congrats on a nice piece of gear!

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #90 of 91
My favorite is the headamp GS-X mk2. Neutral, Transparent, has been able to drive the headphones I have tried with authority.  Anyone who has complained that the HD800 is weak in bass should give HD800 being driven by the GS-X mk2 a listen. Just make sure your source is high quality, because if it's not, the amp won't cover it up.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back