Whats the best software for FLAC conversion?
Jul 22, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eroom1369

New Head-Fier
I'm messing around with my new Karma, and I've been underwhelmed with the audio quality of the wav files that I've loaded. I've had the Karma cranked all the way to 30, and the audio is still not satisfying. Most of my files are encoded at 128-192kb. Any help??

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 12
You can use Rio Music Manager. CDex works for me too.

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Amen to dbPowerAmp! It's easy to use, and easy to download new codecs for converting stuff.

~Tom

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otophonus
Hi

How do i convert my ibook itunes library to FLAC and transfer to my X5?
Thanks for your help .

In which format is your library? If it's in aac there isn't much idea to convert it to flac. If it's in alac, then there is some idea.

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroom1369
I've had the Karma cranked all the way to 30, and the audio is still not satisfying.

Headphones you are using? At 30 you could be risking serious hearing damage...

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
In which format is your library? If it's in aac there isn't much idea to convert it to flac. If it's in alac, then there is some idea.

Hi

My entire itunes library is direct from CD's on my powerbook. I guess MP3 format.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 12
If you're iTunes folders are currently in MP3, then converting to FLAC isn't going to be any help. You have already "lost" information from the original media and converting to FLAC can't make it up. You would need to re-rip all your music to FLAC, then convert to MP3 or OGG or some other format. That's what I ended up doing when I switched from iPod to X5L. I had previously ripped to MP3 (128-160 Kbps) and then decided I should go to a richer format which, currently, I have selected as LAME Alt-Preset-Standard or VBR, 192 Kbps. I'm in the process of ripping all my CD's over again...what a task!

KenB

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 12
What KenB said. The best way to handle your CD collection is to buy some cheap mass storage ($99 200GB drives are plentiful) and rip to a lossless format like FLAC, APE, Apple Lossless, etc. In doing so you effectively archive your CD collection without losing a single bit of audio data and you'll NEVER have to rip from the CDs again (barring data loss on the computer). You can then convert directly from your lossless files to MP3, WMA, or whatever lossy format you want for your DAP. You can burn audio CDs directly and convert between lossless formats without any loss of audio data too. It's the only way to go in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back