Whats the best recable currently offered for the Sony SA-5000's?
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
I love, yet I hate, these cans...i have decided to keep them but want the best recable currently offered in se application...something that retains their accurate qualities yet tames the shrill and faitguing edge making them a better all around hp...does anyone have suggestions?---particularly those who have owned a pair and/or done a recable in the past. thanks.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 16
oh yeah...at about 5-6 feet and $180-220 price range...

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 16
I never got a chance to recable my old pair, but if I were to purchase one again I'd get them recabled with APureSound V3.

Blue dragon would be my second choice, for what its worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 16
I do not experience this shrill and fatigue-ing edge you speak of. Possibly they are after coming from a HD650, but by themselves they are just very very resolving. Could be the music you are listening to?

Ask Drew at Moon-Audio.com which cable he prefers for the SA5000. he might recommend the black dragon. Please let us know what cable you chose and how you feel about it. I hope you find a "cure" for what you are experiencing.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 16
If you want to recable your SA5000's either go balanced or pick a cable that will help its low end.

^The Black Dragon from Moon Audio is copper based wiring which should "fill up" the sound, especially the bass region. I've never heard a/b'd a stock SA5000 with a recabled version so your territory is one that I'm not familiar with.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 16
thats for the info...i was thinking of the black dragon already (and have talked to drew about it after a friend had a very good experience with an akg701 black dragon balanced job)...something to consider...but i might just wash my hands of it and try a trade for a pair of senn 650's once i get my 50 posts

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 16
haven't heard that many recables, but when researching cables the aps v3 seems to be recommended by a lot of people very often. Not saying you should just take their word for it (two people have already posted in this thread about it and probably more people will) but it seems worth looking into. I used to have a k340 recabled by s2 audio and I thought they did a good job if you want another option.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 16
just wanted to bump this back up...i'm narrowing it down to the black dragon or aps v3

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh yeah...at about 5-6 feet and $180-220 price range...

Spend the 200 on a pair of F1's they sound very similar to sa5000 but without the sib.

Ford2.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 16
I have an SA5000 recabled with a balanced Enigma Audio Oracle cable. I don't have a stock SA5000 to compare it to, so I can't say much about the difference. It does sound pretty good to me.

I have other headphones recabled with Enigma Oracle, APS v3 and Moon Audio; W5000, L3000 and K701, respectively. I've compared them with stock versions of each headphone and the recabled units all sound different and better, to me.

Hopefully there will be opportunities to compare recabled SA5000 units, maybe at one of the large meets.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 16
I am also interested in recabling my SA5000. Nothing in wrong in its sound that would need fixing, but the cable is so darn thin that I wouldnt be surprised if recabling would really improve the sound despite being skeptic, and also its WAY TOO LONG.

Most famous recabling services I have seen are in the US, but are there any in the EU region? Closer to Finland, the better.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything copper. Why would you want silver in an already bright, fast and detailed phone?

I would go with Moon Audio if I were to recable them.

-Nick
smile_phones.gif

To possibly enhance its good sides? IIRC silver has been popular cable for SA5000 recabling.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To possibly enhance its good sides? IIRC silver has been popular cable for SA5000 recabling.

I believe Moon has done more SA5000 recables, and I'd trust them more than APS/Enigma. I know Moon has been doing them every since they came out some time ago.

I'd still go with Moon. If you really wanted silver, go with the Silver Dragon. But there have been reviews of SA3000/5000 owners with the Black/Blue Dragon recable. I haven't seen too many reviews of APS/Enigma and the Sony's, but the money is yours, not mine.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back