What's the best LP recording and editing software?
Apr 10, 2004 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I've just bought an M-Audio Audiophile USB for my PC with the aim of burning CDs from LPs using my LP12 and Michell Orbe turntables and Naim and Exposure phono stages.

There seem to be a number of software options available. Essentially I would like to get the LPs into WAV files, edit the recordings by removing the lead in and out tracks, remove surface noise between tracks, and remove clicks and pops. I'd also like to make a few recordings from cassette.

Any recommendations for good software - free or otherwise - to do these?

Apr 11, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Any powerful audio editing software should do the trick... the best would probably be Sound Forge or Adobe Audition (but they aren't cheap). The ability to use DirectX (and other types of) plugins is a big plus.

Apr 11, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Any powerful audio editing software should do the trick... the best would probably be Sound Forge or Adobe Audition (but they aren't cheap). The ability to use DirectX (and other types of) plugins is a big plus.

I agree, I personally use Sound Forge and it does an excellent job in cleaning up lp recordings. It is a powerful softaware with many tools, more than you will ever need. As mentioned by Fewtch Sound Forge isn't cheap.

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks. Sound Forge and Adobe Audition really aren't cheap, are they. I was really hoping to get something a little, er, cheaper, since I only plan to record a few dozen records and the occasional live radio broadcast.

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross
Thanks. Sound Forge and Adobe Audition really aren't cheap, are they. I was really hoping to get something a little, er, cheaper, since I only plan to record a few dozen records and the occasional live radio broadcast.

Well then, any audio editing software should do, particularly something with a built-in function for automatically removing clicks/pops (note, plugins like this should be used very cautiously/sparingly because they do affect the music).

Try a Google search on "vinyl to CD-R" and you should find a wealth of information.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 7
What about using EAC?

It has a built-in tools for recording and processing WAV files.

I don't have personal experience using these tools, but will eventually try them out as I am going to transfer some cassettes to mp3.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross

You can try Audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net). It is not a LP recording software per se, but a general purpose audio editor w/recording capability. It's available for Windows/MacOSX/Linux, and, best of all, it's free!

HTH,
mjw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back