Whats the best Linux distro for Audiophile?
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #46 of 65
Again, you are not contributing to the thread topic at all. What's the point of your posts? They are empty and meaningless.

All the gear we use are measured using professional systems. We have nearfield audio technology because sound engineers needed monitors mounted close to their mixing boards. Pro audio enables the audiophile community. Therefore an OS that supports this professional application can be argued to be best for the audiophile hobby. Please stay on-topic as you have contributed nothing to the conversation thus far.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #47 of 65
Again, you are not contributing to the thread topic at all. What's the point of your posts? They are empty and meaningless.

All the gear we use are measured using professional systems. We have nearfield audio technology because sound engineers needed monitors mounted close to their mixing boards. Pro audio enables the audiophile community. Therefore an OS that supports this professional application can be argued to be best for the audiophile hobby. Please stay on-topic as you have contributed nothing to the conversation thus far.

I am still waiting for that new majority calculating algorithm you have devised - it sounded very interesting.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #49 of 65
It's fine. Keep posting garbage and you'll get there soon.
It's painfully obvious throughout who is the aggressive person in this exchange. Some advice: aggressiveness never comes off as a good trait among civilized people.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #51 of 65
I see what you did there. I know you're just trying to bait me to increase my post count so that you can salvage your majority calculating algorithm, now that you have realized you have made even more flawed propositions.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #53 of 65
There are some exclusives for mac, no doubt, but to assume all protocols are designed with mac in mind is a bit over the top.

I do own a macbook, but I don't think any built in or freely available music playback software in it was any good - tried itunes and a few other stuff. I guess if I were to purchase a daw for just music playback it might work well.

For me, the best experience I've had yet is WTFPLAY, a Linux live CD OS.

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #54 of 65
not sure if my pc will run win 11.
so maybe i must install linux. any good software for linux with asio/wasapi?
what linux distro is ok? ubuntu?

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #56 of 65
Ubuntu Studio is my favorite but I'm always tryin out new distros
+1

Absoluty this distribution is amazing, real-time kernel, extremly responsive/low latency and optimized memory management (full use of RAM instead of swaping) makes this for a perfect audio source.

For a headless server use I recommend Daphile ( https://www.daphile.com ), for desktop use Ubuntu Studio.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #57 of 65
+1

Absoluty this distribution is amazing, real-time kernel, extremly responsive/low latency and optimized memory management (full use of RAM instead of swaping) makes this for a perfect audio source.

For a headless server use I recommend Daphile ( https://www.daphile.com ), for desktop use Ubuntu Studio.
Ubuntu Studio is my favorite but I'm always tryin out new distros
Now we're talkin'!!! Thanks so much for the recommendation! I've been surfing around for some audio friendly linux distros to replace Windoze. I'm currently running server 2019 under Roon/Foobar2000 on my custom mini ITX streamer, but I hate Windows with such a passion that I considered going the Mac mini route instead. So many audio nerds swear by them. The only reason I didn't is because I have an external HDPlex power supply hooked into the mini ITX build (made an enormous difference btw), so the sound from the mac mini would likely be worse anyway. I looked into an external PS mod kit for a mac mini, but it seemed like too much of a PITA. Plus, without first-hand experience to know the mac mini would be better than my mini ITX, it is would be a blind gamble anyway.

Which brings me to Linux. I've been using various Linux DEs for years, mostly debian based, and I'm excited to give this a try on my dedicated streamer. Has anyone directly compared the audio quality and performance between a windows based system and linux (in this case Ubuntu Studio)? Any stability problems with Ubuntu Studio (I assume not based on it's LTS base)? Any known problems or limitations with audio drivers? Any other gotchas I'm not considering?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #58 of 65
not sure if my pc will run win 11.
so maybe i must install linux. any good software for linux with asio/wasapi?
what linux distro is ok? ubuntu?
You'll probably want to wait before jumping into Windows 11. The 10 launch was mostly a disaster, so you're likely better off waiting on the sidelines until the dust settles. Probably longer.

The Linux equivalents would be PulseAudio (WASAPI) and Jack (ASIO), and both run on top of ASLA. As for the distro, that is an extremely subjective and often touchy question. If you are a stone cold beginner, I would personally recommend Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop) or Pop!_OS (https://pop.system76.com/) to get your feet wet, then go from there.

Linux desktop isn't nearly as "nerdy" or difficult to use as it used to be. Not by a longshot. I would actually call it fairly easy and painless, but learning is still learning. For reference, I set my 96 year old grandmother-in-law up on Pop!_OS a little over a year ago and she's been happily surfing away ever since. G-G GOT DEM LINUX SKILLZ!

Hit me up here or via PM if you need any help!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #59 of 65
You'll probably want to wait a while before jumping into Windows 11. The 10 launch was mostly a disaster, so you're likely better off waiting on the sidelines until the dust settles.

The Linux equivalents would be PulseAudio (WASAPI) and Jack (ASIO), and both run on top of ASLA. As for the distro, that is an extremely subjective and often touchy question. If you are a stone cold beginner, I would personally recommend Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to get your feet wet then go from there: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Hit me up here or via PM if you need any help!
win 11 released yesterday. I am still waiting on the sideline :wink: (intel 6th gen, still not supported by win 11)
I wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back