Whats the best Linux distro for Audiophile?
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #31 of 65
If you're serious about computer audio, the only *nix you should consider is BSD... in the form of OS X.

Naeh, lot's of Professionals uses Windows, however very few uses Linux

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #32 of 65
If you're serious about computer audio, the only *nix you should consider is BSD... in the form of OS X.
It's strange how fanboyism continues to live on in this day and age. Good for you that you like your gear, but it's just silly to claim what you just did, and it goes to show that you only know your setup and little about those of others.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #33 of 65
It's strange how fanboyism continues to live on in this day and age. Good for you that you like your gear, but it's just silly to claim what you just did, and it goes to show that you only know your setup and little about those of others.
That's an interesting assumption. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

EDIT: and assuming about other people's setup? Let me know which repository you're using to sudo apt-get your Debian drivers for an Avid Pro Tools Thunderbolt + HD 16x16 Analog I/O and come back to me.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #34 of 65
Let me know which repository you're using to sudo apt-get your Ubuntu drivers for an Avid Pro Tools Thunderbolt + HD 16x16 Analog I/O and come back to me.

EDIT: and assuming about other people's setup? Let me know which repository you're using to sudo apt-get your Debian drivers for an Avid Pro Tools Thunderbolt + HD 16x16 Analog I/O and come back to me.

EDIT 2: and if you think that a professional audio engineer is going to install Wine to downmix their 16 channel audio recording to 2 channel stereo in a mission critical environment, then I would love to meet that person as I haven't been able to figure it out in my Arch install.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #35 of 65

You're way off the mark, this thread is about audiophiles playing music, not computer audio professionals producing.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 65
You're way off the mark, this thread is about audiophiles playing music, not computer audio professionals producing.
And you're way off the mark, assuming people are fanboys who only know about their setup and not about others, while doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. That's called hypocrisy.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #37 of 65
And you're way off the mark, assuming people are fanboys who only know about their setup and not about others, while doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. That's called hypocrisy.
Come on, seriously? "while doing exactly what you accuse me of doing" I have done no such thing. How can you even begin to pretend that with a straight face?
What I did was to assume that you addressed the topic at hand, rather than speaking beside the point. Shame on me for making such an assumption! But given the assumption that you wanted to say something about listening to music audiophile-style, then your comment that only MacOS is is worth consideration is basically the definition of fanboyism, since the statement is patently false as you can be a happy audiophile on Linux and Windows as well. As such your statement very plausibly lends itself to the interpretation that you do not know very much about the latter two systems. How is that hypocrisy? Now it does turn out that you apparently do know about other systems, but that fact was clouded by the fact that you were speaking beside the topic at hand. And you can't put that on me, it's your responsibility to speak to the point. Enough of this already.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #38 of 65
Come on, seriously? "while doing exactly what you accuse me of doing" I have done no such thing. How can you even begin to pretend that with a straight face?
What I did was to assume that you addressed the topic at hand, rather than speaking beside the point. Shame on me for making such an assumption! But given the assumption that you wanted to say something about listening to music audiophile-style, then your comment that only MacOS is is worth consideration is basically the definition of fanboyism, since the statement is patently false as you can be a happy audiophile on Linux and Windows as well. As such your statement very plausibly lends itself to the interpretation that you do not know very much about the latter two systems. How is that hypocrisy? Now it does turn out that you apparently do know about other systems, but that fact was clouded by the fact that you were speaking beside the topic at hand. And you can't put that on me, it's your responsibility to speak to the point. Enough of this already.

Exactly. Speak to the topic, not to the speaker. By you addressing that I'm a fanboy, and not making a case on why any OS is better or worse, it was you that instigated this exchange.

Windows WASAPI and ASIO drivers are a pain. So are most Linux distros, depending on if you are going FOSS or not. OS X offers seamless hardware/software integration built on the stability of a *nix system. Next time please stay on topic instead of making an Ad hominem attack, and address my opinion and suggestion contents. This is entirely on you.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #39 of 65
Exactly. Speak to the topic, not to the speaker. By you addressing that I'm a fanboy, and not making a case on why any OS is better or worse, it was you that instigated this exchange.

Windows WASAPI and ASIO drivers are a pain. So are most Linux distros, depending on if you are going FOSS or not. OS X offers seamless hardware/software integration built on the stability of a *nix system. Next time please stay on topic instead of making an Ad hominem attack, and address my opinion and suggestion contents. This is entirely on you.
Your post that I responded to did not speak to the topic. That was outlined above. Your two immediate responses to me continued down the line beside the topic and argued from a computer audio professional standpoint, a standpoint which is at the base of this whole discussion. So do not come lecturing me about staying on topic.
And furthermore, calling out fanboyism is not ad hominem. And since you were so deceptively speaking beside the point, don't blame me for having interpreted it as such.
I have been upfront about my mistakes in this exchange and the reasons for them, reasons that follow logically from what you wrote. I have seen no such taking of responsibility or attempts at resolution from you. Just continued confrontation.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #40 of 65
The topic is about Linux distros. I continued the conversation referring to another *nix based OS. You called me a fanboy and accused me of not empathising with other people's setups and not about the topic. Conversation ensues. It's all there in the thread. If anyone was off-topic, it was you. Don't hide from the truth. You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #41 of 65
The topic is about Linux distros. I continued the conversation referring to another *nix based OS. You called me a fanboy and accused me of not empathising with other people's setups and not about the topic. Conversation ensues. It's all there in the thread. If anyone was off-topic, it was you. Don't hide from the truth. You're just embarrassing yourself now.
I did not accuse you of not empathising with other people's setups. The topic is about audiophile listening to music on linux distros, not what system is best for professional computer audio production. Don't hide from the truth. It's all there in the thread. You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #42 of 65
Where do you think any of the software, DAC chips, USB protocols and file formats come from? Audiophile gear is based on pro gear. If pro gear is supported on an OS, such as drivers, said support is adopted by this community. Therefore the OS that best supports pro gear will be the best OS to support our hobby.

The topic is about Linux distros, or better described as UNIX-based operating systems. I stayed on topic by suggesting a *nix based OS. If you don't understand this basic premise, then please educate yourself. From the way you argue, it looks like you could use it.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #43 of 65
Where do you think any of the software, DAC chips, USB protocols and file formats come from? Audiophile gear is based on pro gear. If pro gear is supported on an OS, such as drivers, said support is adopted by this community. Therefore the OS that best supports pro gear will be the best OS to support our hobby.

The topic is about Linux distros, or better described as UNIX-based operating systems. I stayed on topic by suggesting a *nix based OS. If you don't understand this basic premise, then please educate yourself. From the way you argue, it looks like you could use it.
So after me trying to lower the temperature in this discussion you go all in and increase the attacks?!?! There is no need for *nix education here, thank you very much. And you bury yourself even deeper in that far-fetched "consumer comes from pro" argument. Plain silly. The way you are arguing suggests you have realized that you had a lost cause to begin with. You just keep on launching new attacks, hoping that force rather than reason will prevail (how appropriate an illustration of this day and age). How about owning up to the fact that what you wrote was wrong in regards to the topic (not at all on topic as you falsely claim!) and as such led to this whole exchange. I have already owned my mistake, now it's your turn. Are you to the challenge?

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #44 of 65
Is it? Where do you think the DSD format comes from? How about OpAmps? Valve amplifiers? Optical transports? You continue to ignore the topic and hang onto some argument that is taking you no where in a poor attempt to save face. You started with Ad hominum attacks, then moved on to parroting arguments. A majority of your contribution to this forum had been flaming and making off-topic arguments. You can do better than this. You're better than this.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #45 of 65
Is it? Where do you think the DSD format comes from? How about OpAmps? Valve amplifiers? Optical transports? You continue to ignore the topic and hang onto some argument that is taking you no where in a poor attempt to save face. You started with Ad hominum attacks, then moved on to parroting arguments. A majority of your contribution to this forum had been flaming and making off-topic arguments. You can do better than this. You're better than this.

One statement after another, your argumentation just gets more and more weird. As I said before, calling out fanboyism is not ad hominem. And using your words against you is not parroting, itäs just showing how bad your argumentation is. And now apparently you do not even know the ratio that needs to be fulfilled to qualify as a majority. I hope you had time to get off on this exchange since that was apparently your whole purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back