What's the best headphones for the gym?
Jan 30, 2003 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LanMan_themovie

Head-Fier
I'm not looking for something big here, or something uncomfortable, or something that makes me sweat. I want something that will stay in my ears while I'm jogging, and be the best sound for the money. I can't imagine spending more than 30 or 40 dollars for this. $20 would be even better of course.

Any suggestions please?

Also, if I were to have more money to spend on this, would there be a more ideal solution?

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 12
The Koss KSC-35's are probably the best work out headphones out there. The only problem is finding them.
Aside from those... koss ksc-55 (behind the neck), sennheiser mx400/500 (don't know how good these are for workout headphones) and the koss ksc-50's (fit alot looser than the others).

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 12
I use my ety ER6 in the gym. I would rather hear myself breathing (and hear the water swirling down my throat) than hear the crap they play in the gym on top of my music.

For your price though, the KSC 35's would probably be your best choice.

Jan 31, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for all the responses so far. Those Koss SportaPro's look pretty good for the price. Are they comfortable? I may be pretty picky in that area. Picture what would happen if you wore the headphones for a 16 hour work day, and if they eventually bugged you then I would proabably pick something else.

I must say that one thing I like about the idea of and ear canal sets sounds good because my ears won't get all sweaty from the pads. Besides the fact that those Ety's are above my price, are ear buds comfortable, and would they stay in my ears while I'm running? All I have to compare are my current $16 Sony Ear Phones that are a pain in the ear and they gradually bounce right out of my ears. Also, all the cel-phone ear pieces have bugged me too, and have been hard to insert and get them to stay there comfortably.

As for Ear Clips - I bought those Koss KSC-50's a while ago, and they killed on my ears. I hated them and took them back. I think they might have had good sound but I could never tell since I couldn't stand wearing them for long. Since then I've thought ear clips just couldn't be comfortable.

Jan 31, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 12
MX500's fit in my ears well and stay put while running. Some complain of poor fit and comfort, but that's the way I would go. It's distracting having to deal with a headband and earpads while trying to work out IMO.

Oh and there's sony ex70's, but they sound like a constipated babboon. (only slightly improved by taping the holes.)

Jan 31, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by LanMan_themovie

As for Ear Clips - I bought those Koss KSC-50's a while ago, and they killed on my ears. I hated them and took them back. I think they might have had good sound but I could never tell since I couldn't stand wearing them for long. Since then I've thought ear clips just couldn't be comfortable.

I felt the same way about the KSC-50's... at first. After a week of sticking with them, however, I can barely notice they are on my head. And as comfortable as they are to me now, the KSC-35 are that much MORE comfortable. Never have they ever pinched my ear, and they are so light you will forget that you have them on (yet they are still very secure). Not all earclips feel the same way, just so you know.

In your case, I would also try the MX-500. They have foam pads, so they will stick in your ear better and be more comfortable over the long haul. Whether or not they will stay in your ear is probably something you will only find out after using them. People have different ear shapes, and unfortunately earbuds aren't usually one size fits all. I find that they stay put very well in my ears, and do not fall out if I am joggin. Plus, they go for about $15-$20. They sound fairly decent, too. The sporta/porta/ksc-xx will probably sound a little bit better, but as you said, you might have comfort issues and sweat issues.

In your price range, I think it kind of boils down to:

* Better sound, possibly less comfot due to sweat and headphone-band fatigue --> koss porta/sporta/ksc-xx series

* Decent sound, increased portability, lightness, and comfort --> Senn. MX400/500

personally, i wish i were rich enough to have a pair or two of D66 (or D77) eggos to throw around the gym
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all the responses so far. Those Koss SportaPro's look pretty good for the price. Are they comfortable? I may be pretty picky in that area. Picture what would happen if you wore the headphones for a 16 hour work day, and if they eventually bugged you then I would proabably pick something else.

I am more thatn happy with the comfort of these and have had them for some time. No problems there. You can also wear them various ways so that if one way is not 100% comfortable then you can experiment till you find the most comfortable positioning.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 12
bump...new thread somewhere? seriously, my livewires kill after a while and i dont want to "sweat" them all up. plus yes, they fall out when running as fast as i do....any runners out there have any advice on some comfy phones that you dont have to mess with, that sound incredible?

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 12
"clear" *defliburator sound* i hear a dead thread reviveing...

ok on topic.... uh customs fall out? i thought their was some kind of tedious rutine just to get them out? why not just get some marshmellows or something and kramar mod them? in-expensive and sound better than ibuds... as for sound increadable..... your SOL for that one. unless your willing to "sweat" up a pair of expensive phones then you wont have incredible sounding phones on the go.

my $.02

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 12
I spent the last few weeks searching for the best headphones for the gym and nearly every thread I find is 2-3 years old...

Anyways, for those of you that find this thread and are looking for the best gym headphones check out Workout Headphones

They also have this recent Best of 2011 list here: http://www.workoutheadphones.org/best-gym-headphones-of-2011/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back