What's the best headphone out there?
Apr 22, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 27
Grado SR-60
$69
Sounds great plugged into a portable compact disc player, and a perfect entrance into the world of hi-fi.

Apr 28, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 27
Actually I'd like to avoid anything with Sony on it, IMHO you pay too much for what you get when it comes to Sony.

"In my opinion, different headphones sound best with different types of music. So your musical tastes become a factor. "

Pretty much across the genres, eclectic my tastes are. Doesn't really help, but I tend to lean towards softer pop/alternative

"Value of price. What is too expensive? The laws of diminishing returns come into play. The Sennheiser Orpheus runs $11,000+/- while the Sony MDR-V6's can be had for under $80.00. Will you find $10,920.00 more enjoyment out of the Orpheus? "

Sweet Jesus, there are headphones that cost more than my Toyota Camry. I never knew. How many people OWN one of these things? And what do they look like? Is some rare Earth metal part of their design??? Dear God. Well I should have said this earlier, but I'm in Australia, so basically times everything x 2
smily_headphones1.gif
You can get a car brand new here for $19,999 AUD. Anyhow I'd put my budget around $100 USD

"How will the headphones be amplified? Portable CDP, intergrated amp, or dedicated headphone amp. If a dedicated headphone amp, solid state or tubes? "

Primarily my headphones will be powered by an old Diamond mx300 soundcard, and infrequently a hi-fi system. I have no idea what a portable CDP or intergrated amp is, so I think I'll just run over to the links you kindly posted and do a bit of reading.

I'm also interested in getting my gf a pair of headphones, she's a vocalist in a band and her 18th is coming up in September, and if headphones really do cost as much as they seem to, I'm glad I got this much of a headstart
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 27
Under $100US and "best headphone out there"
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me just say with authority that these two things are incompatible.

I understand that you may not be willing to spend, as you say, as much on headphones as you did on your Camry...

However, you will find that on this forum, many people here own $450US retail headphones with $1000US retail headphone amplifiers. It's more common than you'd think--though, most of us don't pay retail, and many of us buy used.

At under $100 that do not need a headphone amp, Grado will be a common suggestion. The SR-80 is around $90 retail. (I personally can't stand Grado because of their grating elevated treble--I'm probably in the minority on this point.) Ironically, the Sony V6 will probably be the most recommended headphone in this bracket and is $100 retail and commonly $65 on the net. (I once owned the V6--it's the best closed headphone in this price range, IMHFO). Many people will try to convince you to spend a little more so that easy to drive headphones (that don't require an amp) like the Sennheiser HD590 and Beyerdynamic DT250-80 become options. As far as I'm concerned, this is your best bet as I don't think the price/performance line levels out until above $500 retail and the $200 price point will get you much better than the $100 price point.

If you have a chance, surf to these two web sites as they are the forums sponsors and both will ship internationally. This will give you a better idea of prices and you can come back here to discuss any particular models you find interesting:
Headroom
Meier Audio

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #19 of 27
One thing I have found in my short time listening to better headphones is that if you only have listened to one pair they will be the best you ever heard. If at all possible find a store that will let you play a CD you know and listen critically to different ones. You notice the differences most when trying one then another.

Another thing to take into account is your listening surroundings. Will it be quiet or noisy. Do you need to worry about others hearing?

It is all about what sounds good to you not how much you spend or how they look, in my opinion.

John

Apr 28, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by prototype:

Sweet Jesus, there are headphones that cost more than my Toyota Camry. I never knew. How many people OWN one of these things?

There are only two Head-Fiers that I know of that own or have owned one. One of them, Tuberoller......well, you need to check out his custom title.
biggrin.gif

The Orpheus is a limited edition headphone listening system made by Sennheiser. Headphones and a dedicated tube amp. It comes equipped with a locking mechanism so no one can listen to it but the keyholder. I have not had the pleasure of listening to one, but it is beautiful. Time to put the Camry up for sale.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Prototype
Pretty much across the genres, eclectic my tastes are. Doesn't really help, but I tend to lean towards softer pop/alternative

Well I should have said this earlier, but I'm in Australia, so basically times everything x 2
smily_headphones1.gif
You can get a car brand new here for $19,999 AUD. Anyhow I'd put my budget around $100 USD

Primarily my headphones will be powered by an old Diamond mx300 soundcard, and infrequently a hi-fi system. I have no idea what a portable CDP or intergrated amp is, so I think I'll just run over to the links you kindly posted and do a bit of reading.

You should have mentioned that you live in Australia sooner as you are in luck
biggrin.gif

Go and pick up a pair of Philips HP890 headphones. They have the best price/performance in headphone land for roughly $100USD in North America. Fellow Australians will inform you that they can be picked up for as little as $120AUD locally if you are willing to bargain a bit.

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
Go and pick up a pair of Philips HP890 headphones. They have the best price/performance in headphone land for roughly $100USD in North America.

Many people will disagree with that assertion
wink.gif

They are pretty good, but there are other options for $100 USD that are as good, IMO, and some for less than $100 USD that I enjoy as much if not more.

Apr 28, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 27
He should have said that Aussies can buy it locally for the equivalent of US$65.

I got mine for ~US$60.

Grado and Sennhesier cost upwards of 50% more than the usual US$ retail prices over here.

eg.
HD495- AU$249 = US$135
HD280 Pro- AU$349 = US$189
Grado SR60- AU$189 = US$100
Grado SR80 - AU$259 = US$140

So the HP890 are a no-brainer if you're Ozzy!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Many people will disagree with that assertion
wink.gif

They are pretty good, but there are other options for $100 USD that are as good, IMO, and some for less than $100 USD that I enjoy as much if not more.

Actually, it is a majority opinion from the owners of the HP890, although there is nothing wrong with being in the minority
tongue.gif

From a pure value perspective, I concede that the KSC-35 is as good as it gets, especially if mobility is a priority in which case nothing exceeds it. However, as a home listening headphone, the HP890 is unbeatable for the price, IMO.

May 2, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #26 of 27
well I used shivohum little guide, nice and comprehensive, and checked out headphone.com, and got to know the lingo a bit better, open, closed, circumaural, stuff like that. Well it seems that the HP 890 seem the best at the moment, at just over a 100 bucks. Anyone else got anymore opinions on the 890?

May 2, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
The headband of my hp890's broke
frown.gif
Time to get some beyers i guess...
very_evil_smiley.gif

First you manage to crack the driver housing and now you snap the headband. I would recommend that you stick with a pair of DT 770 Pros. If you can damage them then no headphone is safe from you.
wink.gif

NOTE: drop tests are not recommended for any headphone

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back