Whats the best headphone in the world?
Jan 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 46
My list, a bit more relaxed, sorted by category, and then alphabetical, with the models most people regard as among the best:

Top Electrostatics:
Sennheiser Baby Orpheus (HE60)
Sennheiser Orpheus (HE90)
Stax SR Omega II

Top Dynamic Full Size:
AKG K1000
AKG K701
Alessandro MS-2i
Alessandro MS-Pro
Audio Technica AD2000
Audio Technica L3000
Audio Technica W5000
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Grado GS1000
Grado HP1000
Grado PS1
Grado RS1
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Sony CD3000
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia
Sony SA5000
Ultrasone Pro Edition 2000
Ultrasone Pro Edition 750

Top In Ear Monitors (IEMs):
Etymotics ER-4S
Shure E4C
Shure E500
Ultimate Ears UE10 Pro

Here some links of interest:

Recent and open poll on King of All Headphones < $500

Older Poll on King of All Headphones, after Head-fi´s 1st National Meet.

A slightly older Poll (Q3-2005) on King of All Headphones.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #32 of 46
There are no best headphone, since that is subjective.
But these phones are ranked high among Head-Fi users:
  1. Stax SR-007 (Omega II)
  2. Stax SR-Omega
  3. Sennheiser HE90
  4. Sony MDR-R10
  5. Sony Qualia 010
  6. AKG K1000
  7. AudioTechnica ATH-L3000

Of those, the Stax SR-007 are the only one in current production!

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're so good, why aren't they still in production? (Seriously, why discontinue something good?)

Because they are expensive and only a handful of audio geeks can afford them. Why keep them in production?

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #35 of 46
I can't say considering I've never heard of the top of the line headphones before. I would guess it would be a contest between:

Sennheiser Orpheus
Stax Omega II
Sony MDR-R10

*shrugs* Who knows until I get to listen to all three.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're so good, why aren't they still in production? (Seriously, why discontinue something good?)

For a couple of reasons:
1. Because there is a limited market for headphones in the $2.000-7.500 price range.
2. Because some/most of the phones was limited edition, and never intended to produce in high volumes.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because they are expensive and only a handful of audio geeks can afford them. Why keep them in production?

Not necessarily true. The K1000 was discontinued because it was upstaging the K701, even though they're dirt cheap for AKG to make now because the machinery has long, long since paid for itself. A few years back they were selling for $400 a pair.

The Orpheus system was discontinued because Sennheiser promised its customers it would never make more than 300, and it wanted to keep the integrity of the limited edition.

The Omega I was discontinued because Stax went out of business, and as a result, when it came back in business under new management, changed its entire line.

The ATH-L3000 was discontinued from the start, so to speak; it was a limited edition.

The MDR-R10 was probably discontinued for the reasons you say, though, if I had to guess; that or it was perhaps never profitable in the first place. Same with the Qualia 010.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily true. The K1000 was discontinued because it was upstaging the K701, even though they're dirt cheap for AKG to make now because the machinery has long, long since paid for itself. A few years back they were selling for $400 a pair.

The Orpheus system was discontinued because Sennheiser promised its customers it would never make more than 300, and it wanted to keep the integrity of the limited edition.

The Omega I was discontinued because Stax went out of business, and as a result, when it came back in business under new management, changed its entire line.

The ATH-L3000 was discontinued from the start, so to speak; it was a limited edition.

The MDR-R10 was probably discontinued for the reasons you say, though, if I had to guess; that or it was perhaps never profitable in the first place. Same with the Qualia 010.

Curious... Did senn break even off the HE90?... or did they take a loss?

I'm wondering if it was released as a flagship statement product... something to establish the name, more than to generate revenue.

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The K1000 is really an exception. It was not a very expensive earspeaker. There rest of the headphones you mentioned used to cost USD 2000+. There is a reason for making all these expensive headphones limited edition. Few can afford it and it becomes expensive to support the few. It is expensive enough to make each and make sure each is a piece of art.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #41 of 46
So all of these "king" headphones are no longer in production? well how will someone like me ever get to hear such great cans? also, what are the "king" headphones that are STILL being produced?

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So all of these "king" headphones are no longer in production? well how will someone like me ever get to hear such great cans?

Two possible ways to hear them:
1. Attend a local head-Fi meet (if there are any).
2. Buy second (or third, fourth, ... ) hand headphones.
Quote:

also, what are the "king" headphones that are STILL being produced?

The Stax Omega II are still in production.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So all of these "king" headphones are no longer in production? well how will someone like me ever get to hear such great cans? also, what are the "king" headphones that are STILL being produced?

the best way is to

a) Go to Fabio's house. I kid you not.

b) Go to the Meet subforum and find a Head-fi meet happening in your area.

c) Pony up the cash and fly to the National Meet. In California this year!

Still in production? Uh, that's a hard one. Hmm, Grado GS1000, AKG 701, Stax Omega II, Beyerdynamic DT880/990? Sennheiser HD650? Yep the flagships these days aren't as beefy I suppose.

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Here some links of interest:

Recent and open poll on King of All Headphones < $500

Older Poll on King of All Headphones, after Head-fi´s 1st National Meet.

A slightly older Poll (Q3-2005) on King of All Headphones.

Those polls are more fan-based than anything else. Out of the headphones I've tried/owned/auditioned in my setup, the R10 gets my vote. I yet to hear the HE-90, Omega 1, Edition 7, GS1000, and Edition 9, but I've owned/tried just about everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back