What's the best for me? X-Canv3 / DV332
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sr.Burns

Head-Fier
Which is the best for me, the MF X-Can v3 or the Darkvoice 332? It will drive a Senn HD595, Beyer DT990 250ohms, Grado SR225 and Denon D2000.
Do you think one of these will be an upgrade to my LD II++?

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Both good amps, and I have owned both. For me, the 332 is clearly the better amp - but very headphone dependent: the 332 excels with high impedance cans, like the Sennheisers and Beyers. With lower impedance cans, it struggles, although some say it sounds good with the D2000s. In this respect the X-CAN V3 is a better all rounder: it drives pretty much anything, but with high impedance headphones it doesn't sound as good as the 332.

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both good amps, and I have owned both. For me, the 332 is clearly the better amp - but very headphone dependent: the 332 excels with high impedance cans, like the Sennheisers and Beyers. With lower impedance cans, it struggles, although some say it sounds good with the D2000s. In this respect the X-CAN V3 is a better all rounder: it drives pretty much anything, but with high impedance headphones it doesn't sound as good as the 332.

Agree completely. Had both... and the DV332 is a superb amp with moderate to high impedance phones. It can be a little "rough" with Grados and Denons - though not terrible - just not as smooth as with the X-CANv3. But... to be great... the X-CANv3 needs the "PinkFloyd Mods" (caps, diodes and tubes - a simple DIY mod). The DV332 needs no mods - though it improves with better tubes.

But... the X-CANv8 is virtually as good with Senns as the DV332, and is better with Denons, Grados and ATHs. It needs no mods. My only qualification of the X-CANv8 is that my unit requires the POT to be set to about 2 O'clock to produce loud volume from my Senns - "not that there's anything wrong with that." Other's report they get loud volume from theirs at 11 O'clock. As far as the sound quality, soundstage, and everything else - it is a superb amp, at a bargain price!!!

If I were choosing only one for Senns - it would be the DV332.

If I were choosing only one - it would be the X-CANv8.

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Avoid X-Can V3, I owned one, it's a peice of junk! Screaming highs and no bass.....Go for the Darkvoice or a good portable.
I own Heed Canamp to drive my AKG K701 and I love it. But I think it's out of your budget.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 11
You must have had a bad one.

The PF Modified X-CANv3 is a superb amp with both Senns, Grados and ATHs. The mods make a big difference. Nothing like you describe.

Though the DV332 and X-CANv8 are better.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 11
I use the v3 and I love it. I have the PF mods and run some NOS Westinghouse 6922's that make all the difference.

I use this amp my 701's, my HD650's, and my newly aquired d2000's (with Markl mods). I believe it to be one of the best all around headphone amps out there. I've compared it side by side to both the Woo 3+ and the Woo 6 and stil prefer the MF. Very versatile and a great little amp.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr.Burns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the X-Canv3 much better than LittleDot II++? Where can I find the X-Canv8 with a good price?

I don't know... haven't found the place yet.

But... even at $550 (MSRP) - the amp is a huge value! I don't think you'll risk losing a lot, even at that price - it's that good. Though... no doubt... eventually you'll be able to buy them at a bit better price on Audiogon. But that may be a while.

Personally... I think its good enough to "just do it."

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the v3 and I love it. I have the PF mods and run some NOS Westinghouse 6922's that make all the difference.

I use this amp my 701's, my HD650's, and my newly aquired d2000's (with Markl mods). I believe it to be one of the best all around headphone amps out there. I've compared it side by side to both the Woo 3+ and the Woo 6 and stil prefer the MF. Very versatile and a great little amp.

Indeed it is... I miss mine - though the v8 makes up for my loss.

I really liked the Saratov 6H23N-EB's and the Voskhod 6N1P-EB's - both were amazing, actually. The 6N1P-EB's having a just a bit more solid bass, and a bit brighter highs. Never heard the WH 6922's.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiCanela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid X-Can V3, I owned one, it's a peice of junk! Screaming highs and no bass.....Go for the Darkvoice or a good portable.
I own Heed Canamp to drive my AKG K701 and I love it. But I think it's out of your budget.

Yes the Heed CanAmp w/ the AKG K701 is a lovely combo and one I enjoyed a lot. However I also think the V3 is a very nice sounding unit and w/ the PinkFloyd Mods and a Little Pinkie PSU it is superb sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back