whats the best FM trasmitter or whatever to play my ipod from the car?
Jan 14, 2010 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

debitsohn

Headphoneus Supremus
Good ol' cadillac... From what ive read, i cannot do a line out cable from the stock headunit to hook up my ipod. what is the next best option? from past experience FM transmitters were not the best, but that seems like my only option. so if that is, which is the best? help!

2006 Cadillac SRX non-Bose.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 12
It'll depend on a number of factors. Mainly which iPod you're using with it, how much you're willing to spend, charging, line out, etc. Most of them suck, so you'll have your work cut out for you. You'll probably hear alot of "just buy a CD player with an aux in," and that's probably the best option unless you can get a good FM transmitter for real cheap.

So far, the best one I've used, by far is the old tubular Griffin iTrip. Unfortunately, it's only good for 4th gens, minis, and 3rd gens IIRC. It hooks into that little serial port beside the headphone jack that they took out with the 5th gen and nanos. I did an antenna mod (it ended up being 5 or 6 inches long), and it worked almost perfectly. It actually sounded better than most FM stations. No distortion, very little to no static, and I got it for just under $3 shipped off ebay. Unfortunately, it won't work with my iPod Photo while it's in my Yotank case. I tried modding it even further, but the wires are too short, and I'd have to resolder it to be long enough to fit. IIRC, it only works on 87.9 and there's no controls of any kind on it. Just an LED. The quality is pretty astounding for something that old and that cheap, but the biggest drawback is limited compatibility.

Based on your sig, I'm pretty sure that option is out for you, but I thought it might be helpful for others. I've also tried the Griffin iTrip Auto (2007 edition), and it sucks. Not as bad as some others I've used, but it had a good bit of distortion (especially on the low end), gave me really bad feedback when in stereo mode, and the stereo image was pretty messed up. I've also used a couple of Belkin universal ones, and they just plain suck. They'd probably work better if you're out in the desert, otherwise avoid them.

That's what I've been through on my search. Cassette adaptors have worked out much better (except for the iTrip for 4th gen iPods), but it doesn't look like that's an option for you either. I'll eventually get a CD player with an aux in, but I've also learned that I get much more distracted with my iPod in my truck as opposed to using CDs or the radio. I skip around too much when it's on shuffle.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks for your help! that a great post. i was planning on buying the 2007 itrip and using my ipod video but you said it sucks lol. heres a buyers review i found about changing settings. have you tried it? has anyone? maybe it will help someone out here. he is referring to the itrip 2007. again, not my words. think its an amazon review.

I just got this a in Nov 2008. I will tell you the three secrets to getting the best results. First, over the years I have purchased a HUGE number of these type devices and they all sucked. Only the iTrip (both the version with the iPod connector and the one with the standard headphone jack) have this secret that makes them the BEST. Secret #1) because these devices are limited in power, make sure the transmitter part is close to the radio. Secret #2) Unless you need stereo, use the LX mode. Secret #3 ... and this is the biggie ... switch to International Mode. Here's how.

Before you buy, go to your car and make sure you can set your radio to 87.9 frequency or lower. If you can, they you can use this UNused setting. No US radio station is allowed to transmit on this frequency. If you can set your car radio to this, then BUY either the product on this page or the other Griffin iTrip (with the standard headphone connector). I have both, and they BOTH use the SAME instructions.

First, plug in the iTrip. You Have two buttons - a larger +/- button and a smaller button that will either have "Select" or "Preset" written on it.

Hold down the smaller button for 10-15 sec. At first the display will flash "2" or some other number. Ignore that. Just keep waiting. Then the display will flash "DX" or "LX". Use the +/- to change to LX (non stereo mode). Press the smaller button and the selection is saved.

Now for International Mode (to get the stations below 88.1).

Hold down the smaller button for 10-15 sec. At first the display will flash "2" or some other number. Ignore that. Just keep waiting. Then the display will flash "DX" or "LX". IGNORE THIS ALSO, JUST KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE SMALL BUTTON. The display will change to "US" Use the +/- to change to INTL mode. Press the smaller button and the selection is saved.

With my iTrip set to LX and INTL I now set both the car and the iTrip to 87.9. I use the iTrip instructions to save this as a preset. I also set one of the buttons on my car radio to the same.

When I use my iPod, the sound is crystal clear, I do NOT need to adjust the car radio to super-high volume. It is perfect. However, iTrip no longer comes with instructions to set to INTL mode, nor could I find these instructions on their website or on the web. So ... print this, get this and you will have a five star experience!

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Accessory Power has a great FM chip.
The universal model, works pretty much with everything
Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for SONY Walkman Video MP3 and OLED Touchscreen MP3 Players - Manufactured by Accessory Power: Electronics

And itouch/iphone specific with hands free phone feature
Amazon.com: Accessory Power 2nd Generation Advanced Car Mount System for Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS / iPod Touch 2nd and 3rd Gen - Cutting Edge FM Chipset with New DC Surge Protection and Stabilized Flex-Neck: Electronics

I've got one yesterday for my Sony NWZX, it's very solidly built and seems to provide very clear reception.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accessory Power has a great FM chip.
The universal model, works pretty much with everything
Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for SONY Walkman Video MP3 and OLED Touchscreen MP3 Players - Manufactured by Accessory Power: Electronics

And itouch/iphone specific with hands free phone feature
Amazon.com: Accessory Power 2nd Generation Advanced Car Mount System for Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS / iPod Touch 2nd and 3rd Gen - Cutting Edge FM Chipset with New DC Surge Protection and Stabilized Flex-Neck: Electronics

I've got one yesterday for my Sony NWZX, it's very solidly built and seems to provide very clear reception.

interesting. never heard of those b4.
but the more i research and read stuff about these, the less i want one. even if its only 10-35$. it seems like it would be a total waste where i live (right inbetween LA county and Orange County).

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried the Griffin Technology: iTrip Auto SmartScan - FM Transmitter and Car Charger for iPod
itrip auto?

id like to spend as little as possible since either way the quality will be decent at best. i will use my ipod video with it exclusively since i work out with my nano and have it in my tuneband. thanks!

I have the itrip you refer to. The sound quality is the same as listening to any other radio station. I get good reception but that is because where I live the FM signal is not cluttered up with loads of radio stations and there is good reception overall. I have been told that in London, for example the itrip keeps cutting out as it cannot find a suitable frequency.

I had it set up and running literally in seconds and it is small enough to get lost in the centre armrest box.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 12
With the 2007 iTrip, I did use 87.9 (int'l mode) and the mono mode. It still sucked. It's messed up now. It just scrolls through all the stations, but I might've messed it up when I opened it. Oh well, I didn't lose much money on it, thankfully.

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 2007 iTrip, I did use 87.9 (int'l mode) and the mono mode. It still sucked. It's messed up now. It just scrolls through all the stations, but I might've messed it up when I opened it. Oh well, I didn't lose much money on it, thankfully.

ugh.. yea.. maybe ill attempt a newer one... im not sure though. thanks for everyones input

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's some good deals on ebay. If you spend more than $15 or $20, you've probably spent too much (unless you get the ccrane or whole house).

yea i was looking. i hope i dont spend more than 20 for something that works part of the time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back