What's the best "first-timer" planar magnetic to try
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 38
I'm leaning towards a pair of 400i, if they are on the brighter side compared to the EL8 or other similarly priced things. $249 on Amazon, but I'm not sure if what I get on there would have the newer 2.5 mm connectors, or the older screw in type.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #18 of 38
I'd like to think he meant worm :)
I hope you're right and we get to learn together about what worm headphones are.

Perhaps it shall be coined our new phrase for headphones that burrow into your mind and get you addicted to planars.

EDIT: As an on topic note, I think the HE-400i or 560 would be a good jumping in point. T50RP's are nice but given the higher grade of HPs you've already become accustomed to they definitely won't wow you so it might color your opinion negatively on how good planars can be.

EDIT2: Actually, if you can get ti I'd even look to get a pair of HE-5LE's. They're fantastic and you for rock bottom prices because people are obsessed with the new stuff which isn't neccessarily better.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 38
I hope you're right and we get to learn together about what worm headphones are.

Perhaps it shall be coined our new phrase for headphones that burrow into your mind and get you addicted to planars.

EDIT: As an on topic note, I think the HE-400i or 560 would be a good jumping in point. T50RP's are nice but given the higher grade of HPs you've already become accustomed to they definitely won't wow you so it might color your opinion negatively on how good planars can be.

Yep, 400i it is. I'd think about the 560, but opinions seem to vary about what kind of power those want, and I don't want to get a new amp just now.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 38
See if you can get a used he-400i with an upgraded cable for around $200-$250. I've owned both the he-400i and he-400s, and both of their stock cables died within 6 months of ownership (maybe 2 hours of use a day). The connectors to the headphones are built very poorly, and for me, both left sides started coming apart and I'd lose connection if I turned my head to the right.

That's really my only complaint about the he-4xx series. Other than that, they were both stellar performers at that price bracket.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #21 of 38
Trust me, your Modi/Magni stack will run the 560 just fine. I think it's a worth upgrade to the 400i, esp if you have the money to spend a little extra. These are great cans that I think can even be considered endgame for some

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #22 of 38
Trust me, your Modi/Magni stack will run the 560 just fine. I think it's a worth upgrade to the 400i, esp if you have the money to spend a little extra. These are great cans that I think can even be considered endgame for some
Looking on hifiman store now they have the 560 for $499. I sent them an email to make sure that is with the newer cable/connector.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 38
What do you mean by worm headphone? How would you say the m1060 compare to the 400i and the 560s?
sorry , i meant warm , heheh ,, my english some times do funny things :)
if a headphone is warm , presence and treble is limited , which effect the detail retrieval & the feel of the music, specially in live recording,
i see in your post that you mostly like bright headphones so this why i mentioned that the LCD2 is worm :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: which could not suite your taste .

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 38
Give the older Hifiman a try. The HE500 is a great headphone for the price, but does require an enormous amount of juice (I used a 3-channel Beta22 to drive them). The sound is extremely well balanced and addictive. I have since upgraded to HE6, and yes, the HE6 is better, but I also had to get a vintage amp to drive it properly (I use a Sansui AU-717, but have heard them on a vintage McIntosh, and the one on the McIntosh sounds sublime).

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #27 of 38
I first got the T50RP mk3 and added the Mrspeakers comfort strap, Shure 1540 pads, Mayflower V1 mod. After adjusting the mayflower mod to fix the sound, I thought, that's what i want. The sound was clear, warmer, bass blows original mk3 bass totally away, everything was lifted to these ears. The mayflower mod hulked the mk3 out, and I was on the planar bandwagon. Six months later I found the Hifiman HE500 that only arrived 2 days ago, for a fair upgrade to a bigger driver and great sound. Straight in for 6 hours, sleep, eat, back in 6 hours, then breath. The HE500 just eats the hours. Swap over to the modded mk3, and continue to hear mud come forth from my much beloved mk3, unbelievable bro.
I use laptop>foobar2000>ASIO>FLAC>Ifi iDSD micro
Don't get me wrong, I love my Fostex T50RP mk3 because I spent the time to learn something and it was an awesome experience. However, the king is dead, long live the king. In conclusion, The journey was awesome, but IMHO the HE500 won hands down in all ways and therefor gets my vote as a first time planar to try.
I hope I have kept this jargon lite and rhetoric positive for my fellow novice brethren.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 38
I pulled the trigger and ordered the 560. They will arrive tomorrow, and I'll compare to my current favorite pairings: 1. GS2000e with Vali2. 2. Amiron with Magni 2 Uber.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Jotunheim amp if I find the Magni2U lacking with the 560. Plus it will stack nicely with the bifrost and saga in the living room.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 38
I pulled the trigger and ordered the 560. They will arrive tomorrow, and I'll compare to my current favorite pairings: 1. GS2000e with Vali2. 2. Amiron with Magni 2 Uber.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Jotunheim amp if I find the Magni2U lacking with the 560. Plus it will stack nicely with the bifrost and saga in the living room.
I think you gonna need a more powerful amp than what you listed here for the 560. Planar headphones generally requires high current to work well (not just high power) and he560 is just among the greediest plannars.

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #30 of 38
I think you gonna need a more powerful amp than what you listed here for the 560. Planar headphones generally requires high current to work well (not just high power) and he560 is just among the greediest plannars.

No, I owned the 560 and Magni 2u. Pairing is fine. Just put it to high gain and around 10-2 oclock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back