What's the best "first-timer" planar magnetic to try
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

500+ Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my various dynamic driver headphones for a while now, with my favorites being the GS2000e and Beyerdynamic Amirons for open and the DT770 for closed. Have been curious about trying planars, and going back and forth between going all out and upgrading amps from a Vali2/Magni2U to something more powerful like a Lyr2 and getting an HE-6. But if I didn't want to do a new amp right away, and wanted to try a good open planar for <$1000, what are some recommendations? I'm leaning in the direction of HE-560 or EL-8. Which of these (or some other) might be best for someone who likes Grados and Beyers?

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 38
If you like bright,you might like the HE-6,or even the HE-560.
I would recommend something more powerful to get the best out of the HE-6...like a full blown speaker amp,or receiver.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 38
Why not start from something cheaper and see if you like it first? I would recommend T50rp. I'm very much in the same boat as you, and I'm waiting for my T50rp from Massdrop.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 38
I'll second the Fostex TR50rp MRK3. They are an amazing headphone at an amazing price and very modifyable to alter the sound. I have a pair with Shure 1540 pads and really like them. They aren't the most effecient headphone but sure sound amzing for the price

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 38
I've been enjoying my various dynamic driver headphones for a while now, with my favorites being the GS2000e and Beyerdynamic Amirons for open and the DT770 for closed. Have been curious about trying planars, and going back and forth between going all out and upgrading amps from a Vali2/Magni2U to something more powerful like a Lyr2 and getting an HE-6. But if I didn't want to do a new amp right away, and wanted to try a good open planar for <$1000, what are some recommendations? I'm leaning in the direction of HE-560 or EL-8. Which of these (or some other) might be best for someone who likes Grados and Beyers?

Just went through a very similar process, maybe my experience can help.

ME: big Grado fan (PS500, GS1000i, assortment of DIY mods) for open; big TH900 fan for closed.

Like you, I wanted to see what all this planar hype was about, so I started with a pair of Fostex T50RP. For $150, they were okay. I would say much better than the AT M50x, but I've always thought the M50x were meh and was very baffled for a long time with it's ridiculously glowing reviews everywhere. But like all gate way drugs, the T50RPs only gave me a taste and left me wanting more, much more - in all aspects. So I decided to give the Audeze EL-8s a try. I had both open and closed, and I much preferred the open ones. I think I like open headphones in general, but between the EL-8C and my DT770-80 (with Dekoni sheepskin pads) I would reach for the DT 9 times of the 10. And that 1 time I'd listen to the EL-8C is just to see if I was sure they sound so mediocre. The EL-8s do change pretty dramatically with burn-in. Regardless if you believe in burn-in or not, the EL-8s definitely improve significantly after 150+ hours. Even then, I returned my EL-8C after about 3 weeks.

The EL-8 open on the other hand is a different story. Very very adequate straight out of the box and steadily improved with burn in. If you like EDM, these are superb: the way the bass hits is addictive. However, with other genres of music, I'm less impressed by the EL-8O.

So I guess the question is: what kind of music do you like? I remember reading some members here mentioned how their headphones purchase changes their music selection (hopefully they were tongue in cheek) but I think that's a very silly notion.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 38
Will a magni 2 uber do the 560 justice? 1.2 W into 50 Ohm.

I used to own the HE-500 and a Magni Uber....Do not rely on numbers to determine if something is good enough! The Schiit wasnt strong enough....Planars love juice!

I think An used he400i is a good choice. Maybe LCD-2 if you can get it below 600.

OP likes bright headphones,which the Audeze is not.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 38
With the amount of 400i's popping up in the for sale forums and the average price that they're going for, I'd suggest picking one up for your first PM. I wasn't a fan personally, and much prefer my EL-8O's over the 400i, but because I prefer a warmer sound and nothing against the 400i quality.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 38
M1060 with audeze pad mode is a hell good planer for the money , and i is very easy to drive
if you you are going for the 560 ,, 400i is very very close for way less price,
if you dont mind the wight , LCD2 aluminium version is very good but it is worm headphone ..

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 38
M1060 with audeze pad mode is a hell good planer for the money , and i is very easy to drive
if you you are going for the 560 ,, 400i is very very close for way less price,
if you dont mind the wight , LCD2 aluminium version is very good but it is worm headphone ..

What do you mean by worm headphone? How would you say the m1060 compare to the 400i and the 560s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back