What's the best deal you landed music wise?
Jun 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Stockbox

New Head-Fier
For me, last summer I was randomly searching through Craigslist after work looking for CD storage and I came across an ad for 300 or so records for 50 dollars. So I called the guy immediately and I went to his place and got the records. When I got home I was browsing through what I have bought and It was a nice variety of vinyl! (mainly from the 70's and 80's) Most of the records weren't anything I would normally listen to but there was a few records that stuck out such as original prints of Michael Jackson's Thriller and Off The Wall, some Clapton, Moody Blues, Earl Klugh and even a Paco de Lucia album. If I wanted to, I could sell them individually and make a good profit. 

What other deals you may of come across and felt so good that it made you feel that you committed a robbery? Whether it be from Craigslist, online, brick and mortar store or anywhere else, let's hear it!

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Back somewhere around 1985 or so, I bought a used guitar from a friend who needed some quick cash. I paid $200 for it. It's a Gibson Explorer 2. I still have the guitar and I've played it for probably hundreds of hours over the years. It still looks just as good as when I bought it and plays even better after being professionally set-up. Today, an identical used guitar goes for around $1,900 on eBay. I've gotten plenty of use out of it for over 25 years, and it's gone up in value by about $1,700.

Here's a picture of one just like it.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 7
When I first started to collect 78s, i lucked into some amazing deals. The best one I stumbled across in an internet forum. A fella posted that he had a collection of 78s that were free to a good home. I called him up and he said he'd be happy to give me the records. He didn't know how many there were yet, because he was still organizing. We arranged to meet on a Saturday two weeks later. As we were hanging up, he added one thing... "You better bring a truck." i told him I had a Nissan pickup and he said, "You're probably going to need a real truck..."

I enlisted the help of a friend with a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup and we drove out on the Saturday. When we arrived, he invited us into his listening room, which was about 40 feet long with floor to ceiling shelves with LPs on one wall and floor to ceiling CDs on the other. He took us out to the garage and showed us an 6 foot cube of boxes full of 78s. We just barely got them all in the truck. It was riding very low.

I've got those records along a whole wall in my house now. I don't know if I'll ever get the time to listen to them all. That's a great feeling. A lifetime supply of music for free.

Here is a hot tip for getting records on Craigslist. If you see someone advertising a record collection for sale, call them up and tell them you'd love the records, but you're broke. If they have any left over they can't sell, you would be happy to haul them away. Most records advertised on Craigslist never get a single offer. People are happy to just get them off their hands and out of the garage. You can usually get more records than you can ever listen to for free that way.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I had a teacher I became friends with. To make a long story short, the guy was a great friend but a lousy husband and father. His wife was now dating another teacher at the same school and his kids hated him. Having everyone against him, he was forced to sell his house in the divorce. Apparently he had been an audiophile during his younger days. He asked me for help to move some of his stuff out and to dump the other stuff.

I show up, help him move a few choice, solid wood pieces of furniture. All fine and dandy. Then he told me to dump...that's right...THROW AWAY everything else. This included over 2,000 condition LP's, a Technics SL-1300 Turntable, a minty Shure V15, a Yamaha PF-800 turntable, some vintage Harmon mono tube amps, 4 B&W speakers, a vintage radio console and other quality audiophile paraphernalia.

HE WAS GOING TO THROW ALL OF THIS AWAY!!!!

I asked him if I could keep it instead. He smiled and said I could keep anything that was left. I had to make 4 trips to and fro my place to get everything. Not everything worked (B&W speakers for example) but the LP's were MINT...ALL OF THEM! I think that's the best score I have ever had!

Best headphone score.....I recently picked up some HE-500's from Craigslist for $300!!!

Best music score...I picked up a mint...stone cold mint...1st pressing of Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers for $1. After having gone through over 25 different pressings (some quite pricey) that $1 copy turned out to be the best one. My CD of that album comes from a transfer of that LP.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I was at Second Spin and they had they had a Complete Hank Williams box set marked $15. I took it up to the counter and the guy started ringing it up. I felt a little guilty, so I asked Why so cheap? He looked at it and said Three disks, right? No, ten.he shrugged his shoulders and put it in a bag and handed it to me. 90% off!

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I was at Second Spin and they had they had a Complete Hank Williams box set marked $15. I took it up to the counter and the guy started ringing it up. I felt a little guilty, so I asked Why so cheap? He looked at it and said Three disks, right? No, ten.he shrugged his shoulders and put it in a bag and handed it to me. 90% off!

Damn, I was upset when I missed one on Amazon for $50 a couple months back. If you ever want to double your money let me know.

A few deals from Amazon off the top of my head within the last year:

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session Classic Compact Discs gold CD $50 (super rare and goes for over $150 on ebay if it ever shows up)
Jeff Beck - Wired MFSL CD $2.50
Heart - Dreamboat Annie DCC $30 (>$100 on ebay)
Waylon Jennings - The Taker/Tulsa MFSL two-fer $.01!
Chet Atkins - MFSL Three-fer $7.50

Countless SACD's for <$10 from a website that shall go unnamed that I flip on ebay since I don't have a SACD player.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Best deal in recent memory was when I hosted the Austin meet. A very gracious Head-fier had brought some CDs he wasn't taking to server (including some great SACDs and 6 Cowboy Junkies albums) he had wanted to sell.

Not too many showed interest so when he left he said 'Eh. You hosted. You can have 'em'.

Oh, and I got about 30 good LPs for free from another Head-fier from that meet as well. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back