What's the best all-rounder under $500?
Mar 19, 2007 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mcmyers

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have 595s, and they are great, but I'm wondering if you can go above them without sequestering yourself into just rock or just classical or just electronic or whatever. I personally listen to a lot of rock, but much of it is what might be termed "hybrid-rock" in that it often has elements of electronic music and hip hop thrown into the mix (stuff like Broken Social Scene, TV on the Radio, Califone, Out Hud, !!!, etc.). I would say that my listening is about 40% alternative rock and pop, 20% electronic, 20% classic rock/punk, 10% hip hop, 10% world music, jazz, and classical.

This is primarily for my own curiosity. I just want to know if there's a headphone I should be fantasizing about, and saving up for, in the future. Or if 595s are the best you can get if you only want one set of headphones.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 20
IMO, the HD595s strongest genres are alternative and punk. But for electronica, classical, and hip hop, you might like the extra bass and soundstage of the HD650. So the HD650 or a Beyer DT990 as a different brand to try, would be the top picks IMO.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 20
I was under the impression that 650s were terrible for most rock, but great for everything else.

The DT990s look like they might fit the bill though. A frequency response comparison to 595s shows almost the same shape of the graph, except that the DT990s have much more bass and higher highs. Seems like that might make for the ideal all-rounder, as long as your amp can drive it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that 650s were terrible for most rock, but great for everything else.

Since you're liking your HD595s for rock, then no, I don't think you'll become a HD650 basher
biggrin.gif
The only area where a Sennheiser's soundstage/bass might be too colored is for hard rock/ metal. But since you don't listen to any of that, then the HD650 should be considered along with the DT990 IMO.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 20
IMO the 595 (only ever owned the 120 Ohm) is superior to both the 600 and the 650 as an all-rounder.

Go for the 6x0 line if you always like your ice cream, regardless of what flavor it is, covered in chocolate sauce (lighter milk chocolate for the 600 and rich, dark chocolate for the 650)...They both impose more of their signature on the music IME which makes them less ideal for music that deviates from their strengths.

I've found the Ergo2s to be a substantial upgrade from the 595s and still retain their ability to let punk sound like punk and classical like classical.

YMMV,

Ant

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 20
My bad.. work net was laggy so I double posted.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 20
I'll throw in a vote for the AT w1000s based on the w5000s.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the 6x0 line if you always like your ice cream, regardless of what flavor it is, covered in chocolate sauce (lighter milk chocolate for the 600 and rich, dark chocolate for the 650)...They both impose more of their signature on the music IME which makes them less ideal for music that deviates from their strengths.

I have to respectfully dissagree. The HD600 is no more colored then the HD595. The HD650 is the most speakerlike headphone I've heard on my system: being both impactful and fast for punk, alternative, classical, and electronica. Their smooth mids and bass makes them extremely capable for alternative and electronica.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 20
I just noticed that the dt990s have a peak in the high frequencies in exactly the same place the Grados do. I've found Grados too bright for me in the past. Does the bass of the dt990s balance them out so that they aren't quite as harsh in the treble as Grados are?

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 20
I wouldn't study FRs too much. There's no telling how its driver enclosure will interact with your ear. The best thing to do is audition the different headphones and make your own judgement. My own ears find Beyers and ATs recessed in the mids. So Beyers seem flabby to me. If I want a compliment to the Senns, it's Grado. I haven't heard any other brand come close to Grado's small soundstage and brightness.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't study FRs too much. There's no telling how its driver enclosure will interact with your ear. The best thing to do is audition the different headphones and make your own judgement. My own ears find Beyers and ATs recessed in the mids. So Beyers seem flabby to me. If I want a compliment to the Senns, it's Grado. I haven't heard any other brand come close to Grado's small soundstage and brightness.

Good point. But I'm nowhere near the auditioning stage yet. Just fantasizing and scheming. Auditioning at this point, when my funds are still low, would be dangerous!

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course most will agree that the AKG is the best.

you mean most of the voices in your k701 trolling psyche
tongue.gif

troll.jpg

But to get back OP, if you're giving yourself time to get the funds for an upgrade....hopefully you'll be able to check out a headphone meet or two. They're great ways of getting quick impressions if a house sound will be your cup of tea. It's best to listen to other headphones on their owner's system: that way you know that their system is gelling right for the particular headphone.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to respectfully dissagree. The HD600 is no more colored then the HD595.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know mine is in the minority wrt to the 6x0 series. The 6x0s are certainly technically better in many aspects but the 600s coloration detracts from more music for me at the level I listen to, which IME has a lot to do with it. If I turn up the 600s they become less objectionable. I tend to listen at very low levels however which tends to result in the 600s seeming overly polite (and the 650s seeming very bass heavy).

Ant

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 20
I would put the 2005 dt990 on your list to fantasize about/audition. I have heard that the mids on the newer 990's are less recessed than on their predecessors. Having never heard the older versions, I can't compare, but I can say that I don't really feel that the mids are lacking. I have both them and the 595 and I have to say they are great complements to each other. The 595 errs more on the side of analytical, while the Beyer is just a fun can, especially for rock and electronica.

But do include some $$ for an amp in your budget for both cans to shine. It doesn't need to be too expensive, I have a Head Five and it works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back