Whats the best $1000 range cans with neutral to bright sound?
Oct 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 26
  while scrounging for a bargain of an amp to drive electrostatic cans, any recommendations for specs i should be looking for?

That one I mentioned was the STAX SRM-212, which has the same circuit and specs as the $360 SRM-252S. The entry-level STAX headphones sound great even on the cheapest amps, so you don't need to worry too much about the specs. The main challenge is finding one for a great price in the first place. You could alternately get an electrostatic converter (aka adapter, transformer, energizer) and speaker amp. Just be sure it has PRO bias outputs instead of Normal bias if you're not using vintage STAX headphones. Some versions of the STAX SRD-7 would be good for this.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 26
Why introduce more complexity into your system by needing a special amp. I say if you want something like the HE-400i which I still think is an awesome choice for you go with the HE-560. No special amp needed, nothing major to fail in said amp, and will sound brighter than the HE-400i which it looks like what you are after.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 26
Why introduce more complexity into your system by needing a special amp. I say if you want something like the HE-400i which I still think is an awesome choice for you go with the HE-560. No special amp needed, nothing major to fail in said amp, and will sound brighter than the HE-400i which it looks like what you are after.

Can you go over more of the differences between the 560 and 400i? I have been leaning towards a 560 instead of a stax lately. waiting to see if I can find a good deal with a used one. The main reason I'm hesitant to get the 400i is it seems like such a small improvement from what I have now, and I can afford a larger step, it seems more reasonable to take a larger step.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 26
Hey Atavax, in my opinion having a estat amp that can drive Stax is a good investment down the line. Have you auditioned any of the Stax offerings? It's very hard to be looking for the sound you want without actually auditioning your options. I also hesitated getting a Stax amp but I eventually bit on one. You might be surprised how good the entry-level Stax line sounds.
On dynamic 'phones I know many may disagree but for me the HD650 with the large foam piece under the earpad and the smaller foam piece near the driver removed sounds pretty bright. Might sound brighter with the HD600. I prefer a bright signature so that's why for me removing the foam sounds better to my ears. I'm sure there are some out there who wholly disagree with me. But you'll find much less people who disagree that the HD600/650 are phenomenal cans. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 26
Can you go over more of the differences between the 560 and 400i? I have been leaning towards a 560 instead of a stax lately. waiting to see if I can find a good deal with a used one. The main reason I'm hesitant to get the 400i is it seems like such a small improvement from what I have now, and I can afford a larger step, it seems more reasonable to take a larger step.

On the other hand, I think even the HE1000 is a small improvement over the HE400i, with both having a similar sound signature, whereas STAX sounds more realistic to me, with a different sound signature. You'll find people who have varying experiences between all these headphones, and as others have said, you won't be able to know which you prefer until you've heard them all.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 26

On the other hand, I think even the HE1000 is a small improvement over the HE400i, with both having a similar sound signature, whereas STAX sounds more realistic to me, with a different sound signature. You'll find people who have varying experiences between all these headphones, and as others have said, you won't be able to know which you prefer until you've heard them all.

Can't agree more, I never understood properly what Stax sounds like until I tried them myself, and it's so crucial to hear the headphones yourself before making a decision. Fundamentally it's very hard to describe sound itself, much less the subtle differences from model to model. And it's also about finding what suits best to your own preferences and even discovering more about your own preferences. I know that my preferences for example leans towards a more bright presentation, even when I know sometimes it isn't the most 'realistic' or 'natural' or 'balanced' presentation. Stax is definitely worth listening to- even if you might not end up with them, it will give you a good experience on what you perceived Stax to sound like in comparison to what others have written on the same Stax lineup.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #22 of 26
  Can't agree more, I never understood properly what Stax sounds like until I tried them myself, and it's so crucial to hear the headphones yourself before making a decision. Fundamentally it's very hard to describe sound itself, much less the subtle differences from model to model. And it's also about finding what suits best to your own preferences and even discovering more about your own preferences. I know that my preferences for example leans towards a more bright presentation, even when I know sometimes it isn't the most 'realistic' or 'natural' or 'balanced' presentation. Stax is definitely worth listening to- even if you might not end up with them, it will give you a good experience on what you perceived Stax to sound like in comparison to what others have written on the same Stax lineup.

yeah, where i live right now is kind of rural, but i have family in metro detroit that i occasionally visit, probably just need to find someone around there that will let me test out some cans.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 26
  yeah, where i live right now is kind of rural, but i have family in metro detroit that i occasionally visit, probably just need to find someone around there that will let me test out some cans.

Too bad I no longer own my STAX systems. I live near Detroit. Perhaps by the time you visit, I'll have more. If you want to audition HIFIMAN and Abyss headphones, Overture Audio in Ann Arbor is a dealer. I used to live within walking distance of it. Unfortunately, there aren't many places in the US to audition STAX, unlike Europe and Asia.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 26

I honestly have not compared the 560 to 400i, but was going off what others have said about the 560 being the brighter of the two. Just out of curiosity what pads do you have on your 400's? The pads make a significant and important change to the sound.

Have you read this review comparing the 400i to the 400?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400i/reviews/11942

or here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756217/he-400-vs-he400i-vs-fidelio-x2-need-input

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 26
Not trying to sway to to the 400i, but to me it is a great upgrade especially using the focus A pads. Not sure if those pads will fit on the 400, but if they do you could always give that a try first. The HD800 can be found under $1000 and is on the slightly bright sounding side of neutral. They can be easily modified to diminish the harsh treble which is nice if you end up not liking the treble on the 800.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #26 of 26
  Not trying to sway to to the 400i, but to me it is a great upgrade especially using the focus A pads. Not sure if those pads will fit on the 400, but if they do you could always give that a try first. The HD800 can be found under $1000 and is on the slightly bright sounding side of neutral. They can be easily modified to diminish the harsh treble which is nice if you end up not liking the treble on the 800.

i currently have focus a pads on my 400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back