Whats the beef with Beats pros headfi?
Apr 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Noob2noob

New Head-Fier
So my problem with beats by dre was that they were overpriced and taking advantage of a market of ignorant people looking for better sound quality. However looking on ebay and craigslist you can get beats way, way cheaper than retail value. The most expensive beats pros at 400$ you can find used on ebay for 150$ + or if youre lucky under 100$ on craigslist. Given this price range what other used headphone can match the pros? My creative aurvanna live (I got for 60$) did not have the tonality or the detail of the pros. The Pros really aren't that uncomfortable with large leather padding and have a very nice thick sturdy cord with tanklike metal structure. However they probably wont fit small heads. The fold up and can be used with one ear and have two cord ports. The creatives according to everything Ive read are pretty much the best deal under 100$. The pros just sound better. The ones I got for 170$ just to resell but I think they're worth the money if you can you live having a fad logo on your head.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
doesnt monster lock their prices up? how can you get cheap ones from ebay or craiglist? is it because they are used? the new ones are retail price huh?

Yes, Monster enforces their Minimum Advertised Prices. Three possibilities for reduced prices:

1. Someone willing to sell cheaply (perhaps used) and not worried about Monster's policies.
  2. Remaindered stock (how I buy Monster cables when I buy them.)
  3. Counterfeit.

There are probably others which don't come to mind.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 9
At around 150-170 ish range, there's still a sheesh-ton handful of options that sound better, imho.  Therein lies the controversy regarding the Beats, especially at/near retail.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Fake Beats actually don't sound all that different from real ones...which is a testament to just how poorly engineered the real ones are. As for "the beef" with the Pros, the slow, plasticky treble and mid-bass bloat kill them for me. They're just very muddy and veiled sounding.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
What angers me about the beats is their method of false advertising.

The amount of times I hear "beats" and "legendary sound" in the same sentence makes me cringe.

Legally, it's not false advertising. It's puffery. They definitely have legendary sound, but you have to choose between the legends: The Best Headphones Ever? Ordinary Headphones at Extraordinarily Inflated Prices? I choose the latter.

The build quality of Monster's cables seems to be first rate, and I've bought a number of them. I won't pay more than about 10% of retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back