What's the ATH-M50 of IEMs?
May 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dongle

Head-Fier
By ATH-M50, I mean the best price/performance entry-level IEM that will really get you hooked. Let's ignore discussion of how the ATH-M50 might be overhyped and other cans have replaced it. (I just bought my first M50 after owned 8 other headphones and I pretty much agree with the hype). 

One difference: Because there so much more engineering and materials that go into a headphone, it stands to reason that IEMs should be cheaper. So where the ATH-M50 is $100 on a good day, let's shoot for the equivalent in the IEM world as $50-75. 

May 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 7
I hear a lot of good things about the Shure SE215s these days, but I haven't heard a pair to comment

May 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Actually from what I've seen, headphones actually tend to surpass IEMs in cost effectiveness. Just because something is bigger doesn't mean it takes more effort to make. A lot of planning needs to go into creating an IEM because of the space constraints, and generally you will be better off with headphones at the same price ranges.

For 50-75, you may be disappointed.

May 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Actually from what I've seen, headphones actually tend to surpass IEMs in cost effectiveness. Just because something is bigger doesn't mean it takes more effort to make. A lot of planning needs to go into creating an IEM because of the space constraints, and generally you will be better off with headphones at the same price ranges.

For 50-75, you may be disappointed.

You sure about that? This supposedly sounds great and is $8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back