What's so special about $150+ headphones?
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #46 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earbuds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the SR225's. I've read that they have a bad soundstage(or base? not sure which one it is.) compared to the sennheisers and akg.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it means, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about it/marking it as a con.

This is exactly why you should start slow. Grados do have a small soundstage compared to Sennheisers and AKGs, but that doesn't mean you won't love the Grado sound. Until you understand your own preferences and what components are most likely to match those, you should not spend tons of money.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #49 of 105
I have not owned the 701 (although I hope too before too long!), but I gather that they really need a powerful amp to sound at there best. The ibasso amps, while good for portable amps, are not as powerful as I understand the 701 really needs. While I have no doubt the combo would make toast of your old buds, there is a danger that the cost/benefit ratio may not seem very good as I believe the 701's can sound dull if not amped properly.

The other concern is you will then be locked into the same cycle as the rest of us, namely buying phones, needing new amp, buying new amp, needing new phones, buy new phones, need new amp ad infinitum. Are you ready for that?

I would suggest going for a first good phone that can be run without a powerful desktop amp first off, as you will get more enjoyment from it and be able to use them more of the time. Once you have mobile cans then is the time yo get 701s and a good desktop amp to run them and keep it as a home rig.

I would suggest the denon d2000 as an alternative simply because I own them, they sound great, and while they sound great direct off an iPod they sound better off a portable amp, and better still off a good desktop amp so scale well.

As for whether it is worth it, only you can decide once you are listening to your new setup. You can always sell them if you prefer your 5 dollar buds!

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #50 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earbuds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Literally everything. If I had a favorite, I'd have to say Techno and Rock... But I like everything pretty much equally.

can you give a description of the sound signature you like? are you a basshead,wants a lot of punchy bass?
I for example knew what sound i am after right from the beggining,that's the reason i like the D5000 so much...their sound is what I always considered as -HI-END sound,even before i became an official audiophile.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #51 of 105
Here's my recommendation for how to get started:
-Pick up the iBasso, alongside a Sennheiser HD555, Audio-Technica AD700, and lower-end Grado (maybe an SR-80 or SR-125 - buy all of them used off these boards)
-Spend a month with all three together in your home, and spend time listening. They represent entry-level versions of three of the most common sound signatures out there (dark and smooth, bright and transparent, and, well, Grado)
-Keep what you like, sell what you don't, and upgrade if you want (buy higher-end Sennheisers, a K701, or a higher-end Grado)

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #52 of 105
Um, I have no idea... smooth, maybe? I don't really know what all I can choose from.

EDIT: If it's any help, I have a $500-600 budget. The only reason I want to buy the best I can afford is because I rarely get extra money to spend on stuff like this. Maybe once every 2 years. I have a job, but the money goes towards bills/car payment. That's why I'd like to get the best I can now rather than buying the cheaper ones first and then having to wait a long time before I can buy the more expensive ones.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #53 of 105
the sennheiser HD sries is excellent for the start. I also started my way with the HD595 which is rather not expensive,very efficient so you don't need an amp for them (ofcourse they will sound even better with one) and they sound fantastic. I am adding them to the recommendations list.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #54 of 105
For your first, you might as well go with something a little nicer than Grado. I place grado in the top 4 worst headphones you can get. ( excluding their super expensive sets like the RS and GS series ) right along with bose monster and skullcandy. Cheaply made, the worst design ever, and overpriced for such a narrow soundstage and overall ability to play anything nicely but rock

Over the years I've learned to trust in Sennheiser. You can go wrong with grado, I don't think you can go wrong with Sennheiser. Instead of a Grado sr80 or 125i, get a Sennheiser HD 485 and enjoy. You will regret the grados man, >.> Just a fair warning, you wont regreat the HD 485s that are vastly more comfortable, dynamic, bassy and well rounded for every genre.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #55 of 105
Don't feed the troll? j/k

Just because something costs more, it doesn't mean you will like it better. However, give a more expensive pair of headphones a try, and see if you can spot the differences between it and your earbuds. If the difference is negligible, that's great! If not, and you find yourself further intrigued by higher-priced headphones, stay rationale, set a budget, really assess your needs, and try as many as you can before you buy.

Then, use your browsing filter to permanently block this site.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #56 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your first, you might as well go with something a little nicer than Grado. I place grado in the top 4 worst headphones you can get. ( excluding their super expensive sets like the RS and GS series ) right along with bose monster and skullcandy. Cheaply made, the worst design ever, and overpriced for such a narrow soundstage and overall ability to play anything nicely but rock

Over the years I've learned to trust in Sennheiser. You can go wrong with grado, I don't think you can go wrong with Sennheiser. Instead of a Grado sr80 or 125i, get a Sennheiser HD 485 and enjoy. You will regret the grados man, >.> Just a fair warning, you wont regreat the HD 485s that are vastly more comfortable, dynamic, bassy and well rounded for every genre.

I agree. I love the grado sound very much but it is the kind of sound signature that either you like or you don't....and you can certainly go wrong with them. something more balanced is highly recommended,like the sennheisers. you can't go too much wrong with one of the best headphones companies in the world
wink.gif

by the way,I won't recommend the grado for techno and electronic music in general,but that's me. imo they don't have enough bass for this and the mids and highs are way too aggresive for this kind of music. but again,that's my taste, maybe there are those who like the grado with electronic.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #57 of 105
Im very much generalizing here but you could say that the jump from stock earphones to something cheap and quality like Koss ksc 75 is a massive and pretty essential step if you care about sound quality but the steps from there on are smaller and much more expensive and really not entirely necessary...hmm that would be the end of headfi then.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #58 of 105
It's hard to assist someone in a phone purchase if that person does not know what he/she wants in a phone. I would suggest that you read the head-fi stickies, do some homework and then seek opinions from those at the top of the mountain, young one. Look inside yourself, listen to some music...really listen....close your eyes and feel the music....if you haven't done this then this is your first step and if you try but cannot feel the music....perhaps it's your earbuds getting in the way. Many people(myself included on occasion) use music to work to....this is fine...but then there are times that I close my eyes and really LISTEN, y'know...these are the times for the real headphones. These are the times when I want soundstage and imaging...layering of sounds....bass quantity and quality as well as PRAT.

It's a journey...if you want to take it...the dividends it pays are well worth any sum of money....face grinnin' good stuff that is a holiday for your senses. Take solace in the peace that your ignorance has awarded you for I am not sure that peace will be found if you look further into this subject matter.

I do wish you the best though and celebrate your IPOD and your earbuds...there is no shame in pleasure at any level and it's sometimes better to never love than to love and lose(IE if you go to listen to a high end HP but cannot ever afford it - this is the love that you lose).

Go forth now Earbuds...

Wish you the best and take my advice...if you have to ask your original question then perhaps you should not take the journey - seek no further and turn back now.

Having said all that....I don't regret a minute of it and would do it all again....I'm on holiday now and my headphones, ICs, Headphone amps, lossless files....DACS....all are contributors to the big GRIN on my face now.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #59 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkmoon1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im very much generalizing here but you could say that the jump from stock earphones to something cheap and quality like Koss ksc 75 is a massive and pretty essential step if you care about sound quality but the steps from there on are smaller and much more expensive and really not entirely necessary...hmm that would be the end of headfi then.

not totally true imo. yes,getting the koss from a cheapo earbud is a big step but you can go MUCH higher from there and with a noticable results.

but this statement can be true for a much higher priced equipment (not only headphones) let's say...from the 500-600$ and higher it is more about refinement really, and yes...that's what hi-fi is all about in the high end territory: paying a lot for minor improvements. but it is still very general statement form my side.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #60 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to assist someone in a phone purchase if that person does not know what he/she wants in a phone. I would suggest that you read the head-fi stickies, do some homework and then seek opinions from those at the top of the mountain, young one. Look inside yourself, listen to some music...really listen....close your eyes and feel the music....if you haven't done this then this is your first step and if you try but cannot feel the music....perhaps it's your earbuds getting in the way. Many people(myself included on occasion) use music to work to....this is fine...but then there are times that I close my eyes and really LISTEN, y'know...these are the times for the real headphones. These are the times when I want soundstage and imaging...layering of sounds....bass quantity and quality as well as PRAT.

It's a journey...if you want to take it...the dividends it pays are well worth any sum of money....face grinnin' good stuff that is a holiday for your senses. Take solace in the peace that your ignorance has awarded you for I am not sure that peace will be found if you look further into this subject matter.

I do wish you the best though and celebrate your IPOD and your earbuds...there is no shame in pleasure at any level and it's sometimes better to never love than to love and lose(IE if you go to listen to a high end HP but cannot ever afford it - this is the love that you lose).

Go forth now Earbuds...

Wish you the best and take my advice...if you have to ask your original question then perhaps you should not take the journey - seek no further and turn back now.

Having said all that....I don't regret a minute of it and would do it all again....I'm on holiday now and my headphones, ICs, Headphone amps, lossless files....DACS....all are contributors to the big GRIN on my face now.

Terrific post!
smily_headphones1.gif

To add to that, this thread helped/still helps me in deciding what it is I'm looking for in a set of cans, especially when used for a certain genre of music:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back