What's Panasonic Up To?
Nov 28, 2003 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
Panasonic used to be second to none in terms of portable audio (mainly, the Shockwave models).

I still consider the Shockwave Metals (SLSW 870/880) to be the greatest portable cd players ever made.

First of all, why have all the new models of the past couple years been such garbage?
for some reason, they abandoned the sleek, metal designs for those poorly-contructed cheap plastic designs.

Secondly, why has Panasonic not gone into the MP3 player business?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do know that if it devloped a small, metal, sleek MP3 player of the same quality as the old Shockwave Metals, I'd buy one in a second over an iPod/iRiver/Nomad Jukebox/Nomad Zen etc...

Even an MP3-CD player of that design would sell like hotcakes.

I just thought I'd rant about this, as I love my almost 4-year-old, still-functioning portable cd player so much, but would love to see an MP3 player of that high quality.

So, does anyone know what this former king of portable audio has been up to lately?

Other comments?

Nov 28, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe they're recovering from the Brain Shaker Headphones.
wink.gif

See here, for their route. They're going small, but not much success it seems.

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Panasonic has a bunch of MP3 CD players. But for whatever reason the company decided to strip away the line out and made the anti-shock feature nondefeatable on all North American models.

Herein lies the reason why it's being neglected.

Nov 30, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Maybe they're recovering from the Brain Shaker Headphones.

Things could have been so different if they promoted them as their "massage machine headphones."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back