What's op-amp?
Nov 18, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 19
It's not just the op-amp that influences the overall sound and cost of an amp. The circuit design, the power supply, the quality of the components, the enclosure, etc., all play a part.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 19
Actually, the META 42 is the name of the board that was developed by Tangent, eric343, and morsel. It was based on a circuit designed by PPL and tweaked by Apheared (see the Tangent's acknowledgement page).

Morsel
Eric343
Tangent
Apheared

The CHA 47 is a circuit designed by Apheared called the "47 Amp," then tweaked by Apheared to be built on a Hansen board that was originally designed for the Cmoy amp with Meier Crossfeed, originally designed by Chu Moy and Jan Meier but integrated into one design by Jaz Levallois

Chu Moy
Hansen, Carl
Apheared

The Cmoy is named after it's designer, Chu Moy.

.....ok, clear as mud?

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
From the way you guys sound...it looks like 8620 just can't be beat. So....why there are amps sell for $3000? I mean if 8620 is already this good...how much better will the op-amp in $3000 amp get?

You will find that nearly all CDP's, although this doesn't mean 100%, come with really cheap and bad sounding op amps. You'll just have to open yours up, look at the op amps near the RCA jacks on your unit, read the part numbers off of it, and see what is available to drop in their place.

My $400 CDP came with really cheap op amps, and once I changed them over to some decent ones the sound improved quite a bit. I now really enjoy the sound this thing produces!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back