What's on your bookshelf?
Jun 13, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 65
Laurell K. Hamilton "The Laughing Corpse" and "Circus of the Damned" (vampire/murder mystery -- a guilty pleasure)

Jun 13, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #20 of 65
Fun topic.
Well, I will list a brief(ish) selection of what I have on my shelf right now (I am living abroad this year, so I don't have nearly what I would have a my permanent res...there I swim through books...):

John Dower: "Embracing Defeat" and "War Without Mercy": the first is on the occupation of Japan after WWII and the second on race and power in the Pacific theatre of the same war.
V.V. Nabokov: "The Stories of V. Nabokov" and "The Gift"
Salinger: Well, everything he published (not that much) other than random short stories that were only published in journals.
Georg Iggers: Historiography in the 20th Century
Lee Kim Baek: A New History of Korea
Thomas Pynchon: Gravity's Rainbow
Neal Ascherson: Black Sea
Ian Buruma: The Wages of Guilt
Fitzgerald: this Side of Paradise, Tender is the Night, and the Great Gatsby.
Somerset Maughm: The Razor's Edge
Other than that it is russian and japanese dictionaries and grammar books, and a few other random things.
You find you do a lot more reading when watching t.v. requires effort...(i.e. it is in Russian, so you can't just veg. like you can when it is your native language.)
Anyway,
From Russia with love...
Stuart

Jun 13, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 65
Harry Potter I and II. My Harry Potter III is missing pages -- actually, it has about 12 pages that are repeats of the previous 12 pages. Its like deja-vu all over again.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #23 of 65
andrzejpw, I read all of Clancy's books probably five years ago or so and have read maybe a couple since then. If you like his style, especially that of his earlier books, like Red October, try Jack Higgins's The Eagle has Landed. Good book from one of Clancy's predecessors.

I just read The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand reads great next to Steinbeck -- I think I'll reread The Grapes of Wrath now, haha. Seriously, though, I thought it was a bad novel but a good book. I suppose I'll have to read Atlas Shrugged eventually. Anyone here a Rand fan?

Reading Anna Kerenina now. Can't go too long without the Fat Man. We'll see if it's as meandering as his other book. ...

Oh, by the way, can anyone recommend a Rushdie novel? The Satanic Verses was great, I thought, but the only other of his books I've read is Haroun and the Sea of Stories, which is a great example of his storytelling ability but not much else. I'm thinking of picking up Midnight's Children, but I've heard mixed things.

kerelybonto

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 65
Oh, and timoteus, if you liked The Lord of the Rings, try The Silmarillion next. It's more of Tolkien off in his own little world. It's not a cohesive epic like the trilogy, but a set of semi-dependent stories about the times before the trilogy. Interesting if you like Tolkien. You really have to like him, though, because he doesn't pull any punches on his seventeenth-century-esque writing style like he does in the trilogy. But the stories are great, and they make a lot more of The Lord of the Rings make sense.

kerelybonto

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 65
Whats on the shelf:

Louis l'Amour (40+)
Clancey (80% of them)
Clive Cussler
Tolkien
CS Lewis (philisophical/non fiction works)
Stephen Hunter
Agatha Christie (Poiriot)
Rex Stoute (Nero Wolfe)
Laura Ingels Wilder (complete)
Doyle (almost complete Sherlock Holmes)
100+ books on aircraft and military history
Several volumes of the Harvard Classics
Several "classics" (Dickens, Bronte, Day)
Two sections of music and music ed (my wifes)
one section of english lit books (believe it or not, I made A's in high school and college english/english lit - we won't talk about math and computer science.)
One section of misc. US and world history
Two sections religion/Bible study related

Several shelves of computer/technical manuals.

2Chanel wrote:
Quote:

Currently reading Dietrich Bonhoffer's Cost of Discipleship.

I need to read that one. One I'd recommend is Bro. Lawrence's Practicing the Presence of God. Excellent 1 or 2 evening read by a French(?) monk on finding the joy of service to God in what seems like the "little jobs". (Bro. Lawrence was the dish washer.)

My favorite Tom Clancy quote:
Quote:

Selling Hollywood the movie rights to your book is like prosituting your own daughter.

My reading has slowed waaay down in the past year. Currently reading Farmer Boy by Laura Wilder to my kids.

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #26 of 65
If you like the LOTR Trilogy (Quadrigy if you include the Pre-Quel, The Hobbit) you ought to try Ann MacCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Good fantasy stuff with the Dragons and Fire-Lizards.

All of Jack Higgens stuff is pretty good if you like Clancy, and most of Dale Brown, starting with Flight of the Old Dog and Intruder.

Mark Berent, a Viet-Nam pilot wrote a really fantastic series on that war. Really calls a politician an a**-hole.

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #28 of 65
If any of you like Tolkien stuff (or a COMPLETE Tolkien nerd like myself...yes, I even play the first LOTR card game) then I have two words for you...

ROBERT JORDAN!!!!!

His writing easily surpasses many, many others. He only has one series, but that includes 9 titles (I think). Several approach the 1000 page mark and none are boring. His vision, scope and attention to detail defintely encompass the word epic. I cannot recommend his works highly enough.

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #29 of 65
Have any of you read Chris Ryan books??

Like the titles "Stand by, Stand by" and "The Kremlin Device"???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back