What's next?
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

parajba

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I own a set of Shure IEM SE-420 from 2011. Over the years I went throug several headphones - and got rid of them. The only one that I kept is the SE-420 because imho it just sounded better.

For the record I bought and sold AKG 702 with a FiiO amplifier/DAC, some Bose noice cancelling and more recently I purchased a set of B&W P7 wireless. I initially found them quite good but more then I moved back to the Shure and found the B&W quite 'meh'.

So to recap I have the Shure and the B&W right now.

The source has always been Spotify 320kbps and an iPhone 6. I quite enjoy rock and classical music.

I am now thinking of buying a new IEM and was looking at the Shure 846 and Weston's W60. They are expensive but so were my Shure st the time.

Are these 2 headphones 'wasted' with my source/set-up? Down the road I don't exclude purchasing a Chord Mojo, but not sure yet as I like simplicity in my set-up.

Any advice?

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 7
The SE846 doesn't need much power. The only thing you should be worried about is the noise floor and output impedance however I think the iPhone 6 should be fine in those category. I personally use my SE846 with my phone too, mostly because of ease and dragging around a DAC/Amp in my already full pockets isn't worth the small difference in quality.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a lot for the kind reply.

Do you know if the SE846 will be replaced by a new top of the line model soon? I understand they have been out for a few years now. Do you think they are significantly better than my current SE420 and B&W P7? (With my Spotify 320 source). I really like the sound of my 420, the mids are so 'tight' it almost hurts.

Thanks again

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks a lot for the kind reply.

Do you know if the SE846 will be replaced by a new top of the line model soon? I understand they have been out for a few years now. Do you think they are significantly better than my current SE420 and B&W P7? (With my Spotify 320 source). I really like the sound of my 420, the mids are so 'tight' it almost hurts.

Thanks again

It technically already has. Shure's current top of the line is the KSE1500. But that requires a special amp, is ridiculously expensive and isn't even a BA IEM. The Shure SE846, in my opinion is still currently a great choice at its price. Just to be clear though, they don't sound that similar to the SE425 (closest thing I've heard to the SE420 I'd assume) and I've never heard the B&W P7 so I can't compare it to that.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Just to be clear though, they don't sound that similar to the SE425 (closest thing I've heard to the SE420 I'd assume)

SE425 is markedly different from the SE420. Older model has comparatively early bass roll off and a little bit stronger treble so end result when listening is that the balance is relatively weak on the bass but very extended treble.

One rough shorthand comparo is SE420 is a lot like the K701 if its top end was halfway to Stax while SE425 is a lot like the HE400i.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 7
SE425 is markedly different from the SE420. Older model has comparatively early bass roll off and a little bit stronger treble so end result when listening is that the balance is relatively weak on the bass but very extended treble.

One rough shorthand comparo is SE420 is a lot like the K701 if its top end was halfway to Stax while SE425 is a lot like the HE400i.

Ah thanks. I was unaware of this. Though, this just makes it sound more like the SE420 is even more different to the SE846 than I originally thought...

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks All for the replies, very much appreciated. One area where I find the 420 weak is actually the bass, so theincread punch at low frequencies is a nice change.

I am very much leaning towards the 846.

Any feedback on the W60? Price is similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back