What's next?
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rutledj

New Head-Fier
I currently have a FIIO X3, Aune B1 amp, and HD600 headphones.  Sometimes I think that it can't get any better, especially when listening to Nora Jones or acoustic guitar tracks. Other times I'm thinking maybe there is a little something missing.

Not having unlimited funds I feel like I assembled a pretty decent system as is. But what would you upgrade next to get to that next level (assuming it exists)?

Should I listen to closed cans or will I be sacrificing too much stage presence? Perhaps something with better (punchier) bass or brighter highs?

Listening to some tracks off regular cd's (mostly 70's rock) sometimes seems lacking some omph!

Anyway, open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rut

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 3
If the noise floor (and the distortion if you have to crank up the amp, although even if the distortion wasn't a problem, you should compensate by listening for shorter periods) isn't a problem I'd stick with the HD600 for a loooooooooong time. Maybe save up patiently and at some point get a Valhalla.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Find a nice used and cheap desktop amp, maybe an old schiit... that should make the HD 600 sound even better.
Or find a good combo like the Nuforce Icon HDP, it fits really well with the HD 600, the amp has a really light pronounciation on the bass and the highs and it has a really good soundstage and the dac is just magnificent! I got mine used for 90 Euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back