What's next? Life after the TripleFi 10...
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

garetjax27

New Head-Fier
I am looking to move on from my aging UE TF10 IEMs. What IEM today would be the closest equivalent to what the TF10 was in its heyday?

And with that, what IEM would be a reasonable upgrade to the TF10 given the same price point of the TF10 back in the day?

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 14
You might look into an iBasso IT01. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is not identical to the TF 10 but it does share a similar sound signature with that older IEM. Don't let its modest price-point fool you. It punches way, way above its price, something nearly universal in its acclaim. In any event, I personally think it is actually a bit of an upgrade on your Triple Fi. It is possible it could work for you.

There is a good review by pinkypowers of the IT01 on theheadphonelist.com. You might check it out.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I’m curious though, how does a single driver IEM best a multi-driver like the TF10? Shouldn’t having multiple drivers with crossover like the TF10 perform better sonically than the IT01?

I guess I’m also a little confused when many of the reviews I read of the IT10 talk about it having a “V-curve” or a “U-curve” sound signature. Seems no one is in agreement. Why is this, and why does it matter if it’s one or the other other?

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 14
It is definitely a v-shaped curve--there is no question about that. Not sure who is questioning that, but it is for sure v-shaped. You can tell part way into the first song you listen to. As far as how it compares directly with the TF10, it has admittedly been awhile since I have heard the TF10, so I am just going by memory, which certainly could be failing me, but then there you go. The IT01 does not sound exactly like a single DD IEM. It's weird. Because of its signature, it actually sounds more like a well-executed multi driver (BA/DD) to me overall.. And I should confess here that I personally like a well-executed v-shaped signature, so I may be exhibiting some selection bias here. Just so you know.

I guess what I was trying to communicate is, if you were considering a lower price point, I believe some people would consider the IT01 to compete well with the TF10. For some people (like me) to maybe best the TF10. Not everyone is going to agree with that. You may well feel differently, but that is my humble take. The signature of the IT01 just really suits me. Again, there may be some selection bias at play, but that's that. It's hard to say. FWIW. And YMMV, of course, as always.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 14
Appreciate the input, serman. I think I will pick up a pair of IT01 and give them a run. Do you have additional recommendations to replace the TF10, even if they might be more expensive than the IT01?

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Appreciate the input, serman. I think I will pick up a pair of IT01 and give them a run. Do you have additional recommendations to replace the TF10, even if they might be more expensive than the IT01?
Yeah--I really like the Campfire Orion (and the more expensive yet Polaris!) a whole lot. I was going to recommend it, but it is reasonably more expensive than TF10 and I wasn't sure if it was within budget. The Orion is awesome though at the price. The other one I like in the same general price range is the Dunu DK3001. It also ticks some of your boxes and could potentially work. Lastly, I like the Oriveti New Primacy a lot. It might work also (maybe more of a sidegrade?). Maybe read about them and see what you think.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 14
So, what I have been able to gather regarding the Orion and Polaris, is that the Orion is a reference-type IEM, flat and uncolored sound, while the Polaris has much more energy and impact, utilizing a V-shaped sound. That said, are the TF10 considered a "reference" IEM like the Orion, or do they use a specific frequency response shape, like the Polaris?

Also, can either the Orion or Polaris be outfitted with a 2.5mm Balanced cable, and if so, which replacement cable would you recommend?

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 14
The TF10 actually does have a fairly prominent v shape to its FR curve with its nadir at 3 khz (see Golden Ears measurements). Not sure if that is how people used to refer to it but it is definitely there. The 2.5 mm balanced is available on the Polaris, not positive on the Orion. You might email them and ask. I am pretty sure it is available (Support@Campfireaudio.com). Personally, I always recommend balanced when it is available. That's just me.---)

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 14
So, a quick update regarding finding a replacement of my TF10's. I tried out the iBasso IT01, and really loved the gobs of bass that it threw out, but found the highs to be much too sibilant and unrefined for me. The TF10's are head and shoulders above the IT01 in that regard, but the TF10 don't nearly have the bass response I am looking for.

I did chat with Campfire Audio extensively, but at the end of the day, I came away feeling like their products don't necessarily justify the price point you're paying. Being told by the Campfire Audio rep that the Vega (an $1,100 IEM) is the end game for V-shaped sound signature IEMs and that their lower end Polaris (also V-shaped sound) is essentially not worth investing money in has really curtailed my enthusiasm for this company.

That said, I'm still looking for that perfect V-shaped IEM that is comfortable for all day use and isn't necessarily going to make me go broke (a la the Vega). Any other recommendations?

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Sorry the IT01 did not work for you. You might also look into one of the Dunu's (in the 2000 range?). Some of them are fairly v-shaped and could potentially work. Of course, being v-shaped, there is always the risk of sibilance... Good luck.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Other than the Dunu, New Primacy and anything by Campfire Audio, what are other well executed V-shaped IEMs that you like? Looking for in ear comfort, great bass response, highs that are refined, accurate and not too sibilant.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 14
So, a quick update regarding finding a replacement of my TF10's. I tried out the iBasso IT01, and really loved the gobs of bass that it threw out, but found the highs to be much too sibilant and unrefined for me. The TF10's are head and shoulders above the IT01 in that regard, but the TF10 don't nearly have the bass response I am looking for.

I did chat with Campfire Audio extensively, but at the end of the day, I came away feeling like their products don't necessarily justify the price point you're paying. Being told by the Campfire Audio rep that the Vega (an $1,100 IEM) is the end game for V-shaped sound signature IEMs and that their lower end Polaris (also V-shaped sound) is essentially not worth investing money in has really curtailed my enthusiasm for this company.

That said, I'm still looking for that perfect V-shaped IEM that is comfortable for all day use and isn't necessarily going to make me go broke (a la the Vega). Any other recommendations?

Did you ever find a worthy replacement ? I was curious about finding iem with similar requirements as yours inc. not too sibilant highs.
Dunu's are no go with sibilant highs.

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 14
FLC8S

or

FLC8N

(Oops! Just noticed the holythreadresurrectionbatman.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back