What's Next After "Starving Student" ?
Dec 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you've already got your feet wet with DIY so don't be intimidated by the more complex stuff, its really not that difficult, there are just more joints to make.

I pretty strongly disagree with that advice, no offense Ryan. The designs do get significantly more difficult, more complex and less tolerant of even small mistakes.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 20
Nate for the assist. Yes, the 'T' in PiMETA... always difficult to rememnber all (better mention Eric, the 'E', and Morsel, the 'M'). Nothing like a Menace reference to get a Vince Vaughn cameo.

We should have a wiki to acknowledge those whose back we have bruised by stepping on them toward DIY greatness. Including Chu Moy, the granddaddy of all, and the originator of CMoy.

Perhaps a DIY 'Ring of Honor'?

An issue for another thread.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 20
If you can wrap your head around the high voltages, the circuits in the Bijou really aren't that complex, and it meets your requirements for more (cheap) tubes - if you build it with 6N1P and 6N6P your most expensive tube is going to be the rectifier. Plus, it can look really nice.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 20
I was contemplating making a DIY headphone amplifier thread, which would list out all current availiable DIY offerings in Tube, Solid State, and Hybrid... similar to one on headwize but more up to date. It would have been useful to me in selecting the "next" amp to build.

Eventually I just read a little found a design that appealed to me and my budget and went with it for now. I was debating between the Bijou and SOHA II, the rest is history ; )

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can wrap your head around the high voltages, the circuits in the Bijou really aren't that complex, and it meets your requirements for more (cheap) tubes - if you build it with 6N1P and 6N6P your most expensive tube is going to be the rectifier. Plus, it can look really nice.

I personally want to work my way up to high voltages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back