What's next after DT 770 Pro?
Mar 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KStreetSounds

New Head-Fier
I recently bought my first pair of high-quality headphones, the Beyer DT-770 Pro (80 ohm version).  I choose this pair because I needed a closed-back, around-ear design that would work with my Fiio X5 but also with an iPhone. I listen to them at work and while traveling (trains, airports etc...).

Now I want a second pair for home use. This means I can go open-back, and I plan to only use them with an external DAC/AMP. I'm also looking for a sound signature noticeably different than the DT770 so I have some variety. I see no point in having a second pair that is similar to my first pair.

Does the Sennheiser HD600 make sense? Are they different enough from the DT770? I'm open to other suggestions in a similar price range.

Also, what is the cheapest schitt DAC/AMP needed to unleash the full potential of the HD600? Is there any added benefit going above the modi/magni? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 9
  I recently bought my first pair of high-quality headphones, the Beyer DT-770 Pro (80 ohm version).  I choose this pair because I needed a closed-back, around-ear design that would work with my Fiio X5 but also with an iPhone. I listen to them at work and while traveling (trains, airports etc...).

Now I want a second pair for home use. This means I can go open-back, and I plan to only use them with an external DAC/AMP. I'm also looking for a sound signature noticeably different than the DT770 so I have some variety. I see no point in having a second pair that is similar to my first pair.

Does the Sennheiser HD600 make sense? Are they different enough from the DT770? I'm open to other suggestions in a similar price range.

Also, what is the cheapest schitt DAC/AMP needed to unleash the full potential of the HD600? Is there any added benefit going above the modi/magni? 

If you want a fun sounding set of cans try the Philips X2s. You can drive them with most anything.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Pretty much anything open backed is going to sound different than the DT770...  HD600/650, 698/558, Grado / Alessandro, Audio technica, MDR-MA900, AKG K600 and 700 series.  My step up from the DT770 was an MS2 and HD580.  I've been very happy scaling up the Grado and Senn dynamic ladders since, with a K701 thrown in for a bit more accuracy and flatness.

What are your biggest complaints about the DT770?  If you have no major sonic complaints, and just wanted an open can version the DT990 and 880 come to mind immediately.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 9
DT770 has emphasized bass and treble so a balanced headphone will be a nice addition if you're looking for something different.

HD600 is a good pair. There's also DT880, K701, Q701 etc.

Schiit Modi2/ Magni 2 will do the job just fine with those - not sure about if they pair well with DT880 but they are able to run them. Let other people comment on that.

As kramer said, DT990 are the natural upgrade from DT770 if that is what you wanted.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 9

What are your biggest complaints about the DT770?  

I don't have any specific complaints, but all I'm comparing them to are my $60 ear buds. So not really sure what I want other than (A) I don't want them to be fatiguing (physically or audibly) if I listen for 2-3 hours or more at a time, and (B) I want as "realistic" a sound as possible (like you're listening live).

I also like the idea of owning the HD600 because its been the standard reference headphone in the industry for so long (although I'm not really a fan of the blue marbling on them) but the tech is also older so I'm not sure if there is something technologically better at this point under $350. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 9
  I don't have any specific complaints, but all I'm comparing them to are my $60 ear buds. So not really sure what I want other than (A) I don't want them to be fatiguing (physically or audibly) if I listen for 2-3 hours or more at a time, and (B) I want as "realistic" a sound as possible (like you're listening live).
I also like the idea of owning the HD600 because its been the standard reference headphone in the industry for so long (although I'm not really a fan of the blue marbling on them) but the tech is also older so I'm not sure if there is something technologically better at this point under $350. 

300-Ohm headphones like the HD600s usually sound their best when decently amped.
How much would you be willing to budget for an amplifier (or DAC/amplifier)?

For headphones a little better priced, Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $170.
Guess the Philips Fidelio series seems well liked ($250-$300?).

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 9

300-Ohm headphones like the HD600s usually sound their best when decently amped.
How much would you be willing to budget for an amplifier (or DAC/amplifier)?

Was deciding between the Schitt Modi 2/Magni 2 (total $200) or the Asgard 2/Bifrost (total $600).  I'm willing to pay more if there will be a tangible improvement for these headphones relative to the $200 solution.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 9

Was deciding between the Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 (total $200) or the Asgard 2/Bifrost (total $600).  I'm willing to pay more if there will be a tangible improvement for these headphones relative to the $200 solution.

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC & amplifier, $270 + shipping ($45?).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips:)
USB, optical & coaxial inputs:)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
(I use the slightly older version, the NFB-15.32)

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 9
I just found DavidMhaler's flagship review from 2012 which supports my HD600 idea. Only thing that tempts me is the HiFiMan HE-500... But that's almost double the price of the senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back