What's my weakest link?
May 7, 2003 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jeftsang

Head-Fier
I've got the itch to upgrade again, which is stupid since I'm a college student running on no income and eating cup o noodles for sustenance. It's just that I listened to my friends 10k plus car stereo system and well it kind of spoiled me.

Here's what I've got
Cambridge Audio D500 CDP
Kimber Kable PBJ IC's
Radio Shack RCA-Mini
JMT Cha-47 with some resistors that don't look like Vishay's, maybe xicon? Somehow I feel doubtful that JMT would use cheap xicons in one of his amps. The caps I'm not sure of.
Radio Shack mini - 1/4 inch plug adapter
Grado Sr-325's

I just wanted to ask you guys what the weakest link in my setup was, the headphones, amp, cdp, or the IC's? I know the radio shack connectors are horrible, maybe a markertek mini-rca and a grado adapater is in order?

The grado cha-47 combo is known to be a great combo, but I'm wondering if it's limiting for the higher end grado's. For example, would the 325, rs1, rs2's require a meta to sound their best?

Thanks, and go easy on my wallet.

May 7, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Here's how I see your weak links:

Radio Shack RCA-Mini/Radio Shack mini - 1/4 inch plug adapter
JMT Cha-47
Cambridge Audio D500 CDP
Kimber Kable PBJ IC's
Grado Sr-325's

Start replacing things from the top down and you will encounter better and better results. Start with using the Kinbers srtaight into an amp without using converters to go from RCA to anything else. Always a bad idea to use any adapters, much less Rat Shack specials.
biggrin.gif
Get a META42 that uses RCA inputs, run them straight from the Cambridge to your new META.

May 7, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Yeah, I know the radio shack adapters are really limiting, but which would be better, kimbers with a decent connector, or a markertek mini to rca?

My cha-47 doesn't have rca input, maybe I should solder in some jacks myself?

May 7, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 13
Any way you can sell the CHA and Rat Shack cables and get either a DIY META or a somewhat cheaper built version and cut the Rat Shack cables out totally? If not, just start with a decent Kimber cable to replace the RS stuff.

May 7, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 13
I'd get rid of both of the RadioShack adapters (mini-to-RCA and mini-to-1/4); the former adapter is of little use unless you absolutely must use directional cables (but note that all higher-end mini-to-RCA cables are designed to flow in the direction away from the mini and towards the RCAs); the latter adapter - to convert headphones with the larger plug to fit into the smaller jack - is much too heavy for most mini-jacks, and can actually itself break inside the mini-jack (or break the mini-jack right off of the device).

Next, I'd upgrade the CHA47 amp to a bigger amp. Since you're using a tabletop full-size home CDP as your source anyway, why bottleneck its potential by using an ultra-miniature portable amp that's designed for use with portable devices?

On the other hand, if you absolutely must keep your setup intact without any major upgrades, then the only interconnect to use between the CDP and the CHA47 is the cheapest RCA-to-mini IC that you can find at RadioShack (anything better and you'll run your audio signal against the designed flow of the better mini-to-RCA cables) - and replace the RadioShack mini-to-1/4 adapter with one from Grado.

May 7, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Do you like the grado sound? Have you listened to any other headphones? Maybe a headphone change might be right for you, though I'm just speculating.

Secondly, I'd say upgrade the amp, then the source. Your source is quite decent right now, but when you upgrade the amp, the circle will begin again.

May 7, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 13
upgrade your friends to those that have less than you do. that way you won't be jealous of someone else's equipment.
biggrin.gif

there is nothing wrong with your setup if you are enjoying it. save your bucks. take a course in money management / finance. buy a few used books and CDs and chill. there is no reason to spend money when there is no need to do so.

May 7, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 13
thanks for the info eagle driver.

I didn't realize that information about higher end mini to rca's. Is the same true for the markertek mini to rca? What you said about about the 1/4 to mini adapter I've been thinking about too. The thing sticks out about 3 inches with the adapter, and I have to fold a piece of paper under it to support it. The grado adapter looks like a much better solution, but it's 30 bucks isn't it? I went with the cha-47 because it was the most affordable amp for me and I heard it went really well with grado's. I've been thinking about building an ra-1 with higher end components but i won't have time for that until summer school.

Sounds like the radio shack adapters are really dragging me down, time to scavenge under the sofa cushions for some loose change. The only real reason I reverted to radio shack was because I was desperate to get my amp hooked up when I realized I needed these two adapters.

May 7, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 13
Actually, the Grado mini-to-1/4 adapter is $15.

And speaking of higher-end mini-to-RCA interconnects, they're designed to connect a portable source (e.g. Sony D-311 Discman) to a full-sized amp (e.g. most incarnations of the META42), not a big source to a small amp.

May 7, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

there is nothing wrong with your setup if you are enjoying it. save your bucks. take a course in money management / finance. buy a few used books and CDs and chill. there is no reason to spend money when there is no need to do so.

Ahh, the voice of reason. If it were that simple I don't think this forum would be around. Haha, I'll try, but I doubt I'll be successful. More cd's would be good I suppose.

May 7, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Do you like the grado sound? Have you listened to any other headphones? Maybe a headphone change might be right for you, though I'm just speculating.

I really liked my sr-80's when I first got them, so when I had the money to upgrade I decided to try the 325's. They're great for the music I listen to, but I'm getting increasingly curious about the sennheiser sound. With the possibility of new hd-650's coming out, I'll probably bite and see what the fuss is about.

Audio technica w1000's also fascinate me, but so far it's only a physical thing. As for sony I'm just not curious. I can't really say why, just biased I guess. I'll have to try some of their higher end models before I make a judgement. Beyerdynamics sound like they're really comfortable, but from what I hear, I don't think they offer the sound I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back