What's my weakest link?
Apr 17, 2007 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brat_Boy

Head-Fier
So, today I got back to my main setup and plugged in a pair of SR80's. They sound better than my speakers, but everything sounds quite a bit worse coming straight from my Zen Micro, no amp. What can I do to improve the sound? Buy a pocket amp, buy a more robust MP3 player (hopefully not)? I love my Zen, but everything just sounds shallow and tinny compared to my main setup (which is pretty low-fi by the standards here).

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat_Boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, my ears don't think so. They sound fantastic through my computer.

My Headphones sound 10x better through my computer than any portable i've ever heard.

Its just the quality of the Audio Processor or something, i don't think no AMP can fix it.
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Try other DAP's or PCDP's with your SR80's, see how they sound. The SR80's are bright & tinny, but test them out on other sources, and try again after a break-in.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 8
first off i dont know what source are you pluging it into beside the mp3 player. the grado has low sensitivity so it definitely require amp. preferably something a bit warm to compliment the brightness of the sr80. even with a cmoy you should hear improvement.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first off i dont know what source are you pluging it into beside the mp3 player. the grado has low sensitivity so it definitely require amp. preferably something a bit warm to compliment the brightness of the sr80. even with a cmoy you should hear improvement.

I'm in agreement here. Especially since you like the sound of your SR80s through your other set-up. One thing you can check - do you have any EQ going on with your Zen Micro? If so, try it flat. Though I never EQ my equipment, you could play around with your Zen Micro.

Before getting an amp, how about plugging your DAP into your other set-up and see if it sounds good that way. If it does - then it is time for a portable amp, my friend.
cool.gif
Plenty of inexpensive options. A PA2V2 tends toward warm if you like that type of sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back