What's my next headphone?
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Cla55clown

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a small collection of headphones and am looking at my next upgrade based on what I already own.

My current 'phones are:

Fostex T50RP (circa 2012)
Senn HD6XX
Grado RS1 (circa late 1990s?)
Ultrasone DJ1

So, what would you buy with a budget of <$1000 that would fill a whole or be a significant upgrade to the stable i already have? Something with a closed back maybe?

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Maybe get the Fostex T50-RP upgrade, like Argon
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon
Or i'm guessing there are others who will upgrade the T50-RP
Or do the upgrades yourself.

What sources or DAC/amp do you plug your headphones into?

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 18
That is a loaded question. Everyone has their own opinion on how you should spend your money. I will start off by saying >>> check out a closed back from Beyerdynamic.

Once again, just my opinion. When the dust settles, Let us know what you've bought. Good Luck / Rick

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 18
That is a loaded question. Everyone has their own opinion on how you should spend your money. I will start off by saying >>> check out a closed back from Beyerdynamic.
Once again, just my opinion. When the dust settles, Let us know what you've bought. Good Luck / Rick
Beyerdynamic T90 (open) are my preferred headphones, T70 (closed) if I need to block outside noise.

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Maybe get the Fostex T50-RP upgrade, like Argon
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon
Or i'm guessing there are others who will upgrade the T50-RP
Or do the upgrades yourself.

What sources or DAC/amp do you plug your headphones into?

I didn't even know that was an option to have my old Fostex modified professionally! I'll check into it. My current DAC/source is a Oppo UDP-205 and a FiiO E10 connected to my PC. I might pick up a Monoprice Liquid Spark to replace the FiiO.

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Sell everything, save up and buy DT1990 pro xD

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 18
You already spent too much and have too many headphones. What do you feel is lacking?

What do you mean I've spent too much? My total expenditure of all these headphones is <$1000. Not necessarily lacking per se but I know there is better out there and looking to scale up. Better bass resolution, clarity, soundstage, etc. Maybe if I find my end game headphones I could get rid of all the others.

Which model Denon?

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Closed back isn't end game unless you need closed back. Open back will always have better sound quality.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Hi, I have a small collection of headphones and am looking at my next upgrade based on what I already own.

My current 'phones are:

Fostex T50RP (circa 2012)
Senn HD6XX
Grado RS1 (circa late 1990s?)
Ultrasone DJ1

So, what would you buy with a budget of <$1000 that would fill a whole or be a significant upgrade to the stable i already have? Something with a closed back maybe?
Aeon Flow or used ZMF Atticus or Auteur

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 18
What do you mean I've spent too much? My total expenditure of all these headphones is <$1000. Not necessarily lacking per se but I know there is better out there and looking to scale up. Better bass resolution, clarity, soundstage, etc. Maybe if I find my end game headphones I could get rid of all the others.

Which model Denon?
Fox actually has a good point. It's ok to have different flavors...is that what you are looking for? Or is something missing from what you already have. Is there something that's an absolute requirement? In my case...the headphone HAS to be comfortable for extended periods...or I won't reach for it. Also (for me) the ability to reproduce sub bass. I really liked the HD600...but the lack of a really low end caused me to sell it.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 18
The more I'm reading about the current crop of mid-fi headphones, the more I'm leaning toward adding the Byerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. I think I'll gift the Ultrasone to my nephew and try to get him into headphones at the same time (he's 12). I think the 1990 would be a good compliment to the brighter Grado and more laid back Senn HD6XX.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Feb 16, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 18
Closed back isn't end game unless you need closed back. Open back will always have better sound quality.

A perenially true statement...though recently there have been some headphones that don't fit neatly
into one category or the other.
A few worth naming - Sony MDR Z7 had some collosal vents - how many more would have qualified it as "semi-open?'
And maybe the answer arrived in the Z7MK2, with even more venting.
Not as well known, perhaps, but the "closed" Audioquest NightOwl has some sort of full venting design.

And on the other hand, Beyer refers to their DT1990's as "open".
https://global.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1990-pro.html

But hadn't wee seen that sort of design when it was called "semi-open"
e.g. the DT880's.

Just seems to me that the lines are beginning to blur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back