What's my Major?
Aug 29, 2005 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
I originally thought it was electrical engineering because I wanted to work with electronics. Then someone told me, what I was interested in was Electronics Engineering. And now, I'm starting to think, maybe it's Computer Engineering too. But I'm trying to get into electronics + sound applications, so would Physics be my major too? When filling out applications for schools they only ask for one major...what should I put down?

Here's my interest: To develop and maybe program electronics & devices that are involved with the audio industry...I guess to put it in the best "head-fi" terms, my interest is to develop "head-fi" equipment (whether it be for the car, home, head, or on a larger scale).

What's my major?

I've been taking general-ed classes at a community college for 2 years...it's time to move on up...

Aug 29, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 12
Be ambitious -- go for a double! I have both Physic and Computer Science myself. Computer Science alone was pretty prevalent when I graduated, so having something extra gave me an additional selling point that others didn't have.

Aug 29, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Well physic's won't prepare you for engineering work, thats for sure...more of the "scientist" realm ya know?

Anyway, Comp E is basically EE with some CS courses thrown in and no microcircuitry stuff or whatever based on what school you're in.

Since Comp E and EE are grouped as ECE (electrical and computer engineering) it'd be really easy to get a double-major with both of them.

Aug 29, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 12
I understand I can do a double...

...but for this (online) application it only has a dropdown box, so I can only select one; what would be most applicable - electrical or computer if...say I wanted to develop a DAC.

Aug 29, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
I understand I can do a double...

...but for this (online) application it only has a dropdown box, so I can only select one; what would be most applicable - electrical or computer if...say I wanted to develop a DAC.

Well the EE will probably include the advanced microelectronics courses. I'd suggest looking at a "suggested course" or "required courses for degree" and check out what options are there. I'd base my choice off of that rather then what the major's called.

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 12
Don't stress so much over that one little drop-down box - you can always change your major once you get in. I have a friend who started as a math major and ended an English major. For now, though, I'd say EE.

Another strategy you might want to consider - what major will get you the best chance of getting into the college?

Aug 30, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Yea I think I am stressing over that dropdown box a bit much.

But it did get me thinking...if what I'm interested in is a collaboration of three majors, which one do I choose???

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Why don't you email/call some of the audio gear companies like Benchmark, Sennheiser, Shure, M-Audio, etc. and ask them what sort of education one would need to work in R&D in the audio field?

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Once you get in, you can talk to an academic advisor who might be able to point you in the right direction. I'm not an engineering major of any sort, but I would think one of the three is "closer" to your intended career path than the others, and that would be the one to choose. If it's really that different, most likely your advisor will be able to work with you and you can make a "customized" major out of it.

Good luck!

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 12
It sounds like Electrical Engineering is your major. EE these days have to take at least 1 or 2 programming courses to fulfill the requirements. In addition, depending on the school, you can also focus in different areas (analog, digital, materials, e&m...) And don't forget that you can always take courses outside of your major. I'm sure some physics courses can be applied towards your major.

And if all else fails, take a couple courses in your first year and then decide.

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 12
As a EE and CmpE graduate I would suggest that you go get an applied Physics and CS degree. You can always take a few EE classes for more hands-on work but Physics will really give you a thorough background on all the physical and electrical phenomena that you will encounter as an audio designer. Acoustics alone is a 4yr degree at most colleges...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back